• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Dear all,

How should I understand "with +N went +N" as illustrated below?
    What does "that" underlined refer to?

Thanks in advance.

The process culminated in 2005 and 2006 with public listings in Hong Kong of China’s three largest banks. By that time, however, President Jiang and Prime Minister Zhu had already been out of office for two years and a key ally for reform, Vice Prime Minister Huang Ju, was terminally ill. With their departure went the willingness of the top leadership to endure the brutal volatility of market-oriented systems, and that, in turn, weakened the push for a floating currency, independent pricing of debt and other securities and international access to China’s capital markets. The appetite for turning financial institutions into real commercial operations disappeared also.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: with...went...

I shan't attempt an anaysis, but the meaning is:

The departure of Jiang, Zhu and Huang coincided with/brought about the going (= end) of the willingness of the top leadership to endure the brutal volatility of market-oriented system and that (unwillingness to ...) weakened the push...

Similar examples:

Hugh Gaitskell (A British politician, leader of the Labour Party) died in 1963. With his departure from the scene/death died/went all hope of a centrist Labour Party for the next quarter of a century *.

Margaret Thatcher became Britain's first woman Prime Minister in 1979. With her election began a new era in British politics *.

The underlined verbs can also go where I have placed the asterisk.