• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Punctuation

"The Bobcats got little from its leading scorer, Stephen Jackson; just seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left."

Is the semicolon correct? What follows it doesn't seem to be an independent clause. I would've used a comma or colon.

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Punctuation

You're right. The semi colon should be a comma.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

A comma doesn't seem to work either. I'd say either a colon or a em-dash.
    It's a fragment, but it's not made complete by being linked to the first part with a comma.

(I note that in the US, we'd say "they" for the pronoun for Bobcats. Since there was a discussion recently on singular/plural, I thought I'd mention it as a side note.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Stephen Jackson" is an appositive for "leading scorer" and appositives are usually bracketed by commas.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    A comma doesn't seem to work either. I'd say either a colon or a em-dash.
    It's a fragment, but it's not made complete by being linked to the first part with a comma.

(I note that in the US, we'd say "they" for the pronoun for Bobcats. Since there was a discussion recently on singular/plural, I thought I'd mention it as a side note.)
    I, too, was surprised by the "its," especially since the writer is an American. But I think he had the word "Charlotte" (the name of the team is Charlotte Bobcats) in mind when he wrote "its."

I don't understand why a comma would be wrong. "[J]ust seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left" is an additional piece of information and a dependent clause.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    "Stephen Jackson" is an appositive for "leading scorer" and appositives are usually bracketed by commas.
    Of course it is. But what follows does not make a complete sentence if it's connected to the beginning. If you omit the name entirely (as you can do with an appositive), what's left is not grammatical.

Not at sentence: The Bobcats got little from its leading scorer just seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left

Okay sentence in sports reporting: The Bobcats got little from its leading scorer -- just seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Of course it is. But what follows does not make a complete sentence if it's connected to the beginning. If you omit the name entirely (as you can do with an appositive), what's left is not grammatical.

Not at sentence: The Bobcats got little from its leading scorer just seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left
    Of course that's ungrammatical, but nobody would write that. You would put a comma after "scorer." And then you would change "Jackson" to "he" because you've left out the guy's name.

I don't really get your argument.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I see nothing ungrammatical in the following:

The Bobcats got little from its leading scorer, just seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left.

or

The Bobcats got little from Stephen Jackson, just seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left.

or

The Bobcats got little from its leading scorer, Stephen Jackson, just seven points on 3-of-8 shooting before Jackson fouled out with 4 1/2 minutes left.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It's a comma splice if you just link it together that way. It's not a true dependent clause.
    You'd have to changing it slightly.

..., who scored just... before fouling out.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

It's a comma splice if you just link it together that way. It's not a true dependent clause.
    You'd have to changing it slightly.

..., who scored just... before fouling out.
    So you're saying it's an independent clause after all? That's what I wasn't sure about initially.

On the one hand, it has elements of an independent clause (subject and verb), but I don't think it can stand on its own; it wouldn't make sense without the "The Bobcats got little from its leading scorer" part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast