Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's an expression I came across when I was watching a TV series.The context is that "Do you have a naval background? Ahar, me hearties."
By the way I have another sentence I also find difficult to understand in the same episode which goes as follow:
A:It's not for long. Act normal.
B:I was being normal.
A:You were being a horse with a Russian doll.
The "with a Russian doll"part can be understood as told by the previous scenario .But I can't understand "be a horse"part.Why would she say so?
What does this mean?Any help in enlightening me on the meaning of these two expressions will be much appreciated.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's an expression I came across when I was watching a TV series.The context is that "Do you have a naval background? Ahar, me hearties."
By the way I have another sentence I also find difficult to understand in the same episode which goes as follow:
A:It's not for long. Act normal.
B:I was being normal.
A:You were being a horse with a Russian doll.
The "with a Russian doll"part can be understood as told by the previous scenario .But I can't understand "be a horse"part.Why would she say so?
What does this mean?Any help in enlightening me on the meaning of these two expressions will be much appreciated.

'Ahar, me hearties' is stereotypical pirates' cant (pirates of the Jack Sparrow era, that is; I doubt if they speak like that off the coast of Somalia. ;-)).

Is this from 'Miranda'? The 'horse' reference may be a reference to Ms Hart's long face.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.