• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

How to say this?

Hi,

Can you tell me how to describe a type of people they have the apperance of young lady but also they have penis?

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: How to say this?

"Transgender" I believe is the term preferred today.

"Shemale" might be an impolite term.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In what way do these people (men) look like women? There are different words for something like that, but it depends on the reason for their appearance. Is it because they dress like women? Do they live as women? Or are they born with female characteristics?

Transvestite: A person that dresses as the opposite sex

Transgender: A person who lives as the opposite sex. The same as a transsexual.

These distinctions are very important, especially to the transsexuals and transvestites themselves.

The third possibility is that a man is born with female characteristics. This can be the result of a genetic disorder where a male child is born with two X chromosomes instead of one. This is commonly known as an XXY-male.
    These boys have penises, but sometimes they will also grow breasts and have little or no hair on their face and body, giving the adult male a somewhat femine appearance. However, not all XXY-males show these characteristics and not all men who possess these traits have two X chromosomes. But it is one way that a man can come to look the way you describe.

If you are talking in more general terms of men who act or look like women in certain ways, you can say that the man or boy is "effeminate."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiBarber View Post
    In what way do these people (men) look like women? There are different words for something like that, but it depends on the reason for their appearance. Is it because they dress like women? Do they live as women? Or are they born with female characteristics?

Transvestite: A person that dresses as the opposite sex

Transgender: A person who lives as the opposite sex. The same as a transsexual.

These distinctions are very important, especially to the transsexuals and transvestites themselves.

The third possibility is that a man is born with female characteristics. This can be the result of a genetic disorder where a male child is born with two X chromosomes instead of one. This is commonly known as an XXY-male.
    These boys have penises, but sometimes they will also grow breasts and have little or no hair on their face and body, giving the adult male a somewhat femine appearance. However, not all XXY-males show these characteristics and not all men who possess these traits have two X chromosomes. But it is one way that a man can come to look the way you describe.

If you are talking in more general terms of men who act or look like women in certain ways, you can say that the man or boy is "effeminate."

Definitely, I agree with what you've just said.
    But my question is still clear, I am looking for a term to describe a person who has the appearance of a lady, but also has the penis. From their appearance you would definitely say they are ladies but when you, if there was one, have sex with them, you find out they are indeed have penises.
    "Shemale" seems not to be a acknowledged term and other terms are fine, but I still need to explain when I talk to someone.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I guess in that case you should probably go with transgender or transsexual, since transsexuals actually live as women (and they can still have their penis intact unless they have undergone surgery) which makes it more likely that they would choose to have sex with other men. A transvestite, on the other hand, might choose to dress as a woman but still be heterosexual.
    I agree that "shemale" is definitely NOT an acceptable term.
    If the context implies that the person you are referring to is also homosexual then you should use either "transgender" or "transsexual." If the person simply looks like a woman and there is no way of knowing his sexual orientation you can also use "transvestite."
    If it is still unclear, it might help if you explain in what context you are using the word?
    It is very good that you are so conscientious about choosing the correct term.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hey dude, thanks a lot. The OED gives a good choice, ladyboy.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Ladyboy may be the word you want but, like shemale, it may be considered impolite. Nikki has given a good selection of safe words.
    Last edited by 5jj; 16-Dec-2010 at 10:22. Reason: typo