Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 232
    #1

    Hello

    Hello,teachers,

    1 Can I use the world who instead of the word that in this sentence?

    A boy is here,but not the one that you are looking for.

    2 Can I use the world which instead of the word that in this sentence?

    I mean the one that was bought yesterday.

    3 Is this sentence corect?

    When we're angry,we're the one who are affected.

    Thank you !

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry12345 View Post
    1 Can I use the world who instead of the word that in this sentence?

    A boy is here,but not the one that you are looking for. Yes.

    2 Can I use the world which instead of the word that in this sentence?

    I mean the one that was bought yesterday.Yes

    3 Is this sentence correct?

    When we're angry,we're the ones who are affected. Yes, with my correction.
    Some people prefer to use that in defining relative clauses, but who and which are acceptable.

    A pedant would insist on whom in #2, or even: ...not the one for whom you are looking.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 232
    #3

    Re: Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Some people prefer to use that in defining relative clauses, but who and which are acceptable.

    A pedant would insist on whom in #2, or even: ...not the one for whom you are looking.

    Thank you ! fivejedjon teacher!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2005
    • Posts: 2,045
    #4

    Re: Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry12345 View Post
    Hello,teachers,

    1 Can I use the world who instead of the word that in this sentence?

    A boy is here,but not the one that you are looking for.

    2 Can I use the world which instead of the word that in this sentence?

    I mean the one that was bought yesterday.

    3 Is this sentence corect?

    When we're angry,we're the one who are affected.

    Thank you !
    On a test of standard English, only the word whom would be correct in sentence 1.

    The distinction between which and that is fading in modern English, so sentence 2 would be correct with either.

    Sentence 3 should be: When we're angry, we're the ones who are affected.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 232
    #5

    Re: Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    On a test of standard English, only the word whom would be correct in sentence 1.

    The distinction between which and that is fading in modern English, so sentence 2 would be correct with either.

    Sentence 3 should be: When we're angry, we're the ones who are affected.

    mykwyner teacher, Thank you very much!  I wish you can ofen help me!

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    On a test of standard English, only the word whom would be correct in sentence 1.
    In standard BrE who is now the norm. Some people take care to use whom in writing, especially formal writing, but it is not commonly used in speeech.
    Last edited by 5jj; 21-Dec-2010 at 10:14. Reason: typo

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: Hello

    By the way, please try to use a more helpful title for your questions; 'Hello' doesn't tell us anything. 'Who, which or that?' would have been far more useful for this thread.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •