Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
Hi guys, just wondering what the difference is between these two words in recieved pronunciation. Is there a difference?

butter - batter
cut - cat

etc...

Is it just me who thinks they sound the same? How do you make the destinction?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it just me who thinks they sound the same? How do you make the d[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]istinction?

If you were German, I could understand your question. The vowel in the German 'hat' is roughly midway between the English 'hat' and 'hut'.

However, you say that your native language is English. As far as I know, most English dialects recognise a difference between the sounds you write about.

Cut: in southern BrE and General AmE: /kʌt/; in some northern BrE dialects: /kʊt/
Cat: in most dialects: /k
æt/[FONT=&quot]

We are talking about two clearly different vowels when we consider cut and car.

[/FONT]

Buddhaheart

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The vowel “a” in “batter” pronounced with an ash /F/ while the “u” in “butter” with /ž/. This is perhaps how a Canuck like me pronounces the two words.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The vowel “a” in “batter” pronounced with an ash /F/ while the “u” in “butter” with /ž/. This is perhaps how a Canuck like me pronounces the two words.
What IPA program are you using? Your transcriptions appear as /F/ and /ž/ on my screen.

duiter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
To Fivejedjon,

Cut: in southern BrE and General AmE: /kʌt/; in some northern BrE dialects: /kʊt/
Cat: in most dialects: /kæt/

So, some Northern BrE speaking use / ʊ / instead of / ʌ /
Will people from USA or Australia or NZ or Canada understand it ?
How about mug, mud, bug, bully, cuddle, dusk, hurry, jug, luggage, nut, up, etc ?

Many thanks

Buddhaheart

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What IPA program are you using? Your transcriptions appear as /F/ and /ž/ on my screen.

I’m glad the IPA symbols showed up the way I intended. Sorry I didn’t use any “IPA program.” I inserted them from those available in Word’s WP Phonetic Symbols list.

Gatsby1412

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'æ' is a very American sound. It exists in British RP, but then it often leans a bit towards sounding like 'e,' as in 'let,' 'wet,' 'met,' etc. If you think of 'batter' and 'cat' in this way, you might hear more of a distinction from the ʌ sound ('butter,' 'cut').

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So, some Northern BrE speakers use /ʊ/ instead of /ʌ/
Will people from USA or Australia or NZ or Canada understand it ? Usually, yes. They might not understand an individual word spoken out of context, but there is usually no problem in context. Vowels differ far more in dialects than consonants, and speakers of one dialect may sound strange to speakers of another; there is usually not too much problem with accent, though there may be with lexis and idiom.
How about mug, mud, bug, bully, cuddle, dusk, hurry, jug, luggage, nut, up, etc ? For many speakers of Northern BrE there is no contrast at all between /ʌ/ and /ʊ/. Such speakers will pronounce all those words with a vowel close to /ʊ/. 'Bully' has that vowel for speakers of RP.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Some British/Irish/American folk songs/singers have fun with stretching rhymes. Linguists ignore them at their peril, but must be wary about basing any theses on folk songs alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.