Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Miranda's mother suggests that Miranda could consider the option of marrying her cousin which Miranda drastically refuses.And her mother says,"This is Surrey. No-one minds."Does Surrey as a county or something particularly approve of marriage of close relatives ?Or something else?Any help will be much appreciated.:)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
She seems to be saying that anything goes in Surrey.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Just silliness again. I can't honestly see any humour in it.
I agree. I think it's time I stopped responding to questions about Miranda.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Miranda's mother suggests that Miranda could consider the option of marrying her cousin which Miranda drastically refuses.And her mother says,"This is Surrey. No-one minds."Does Surrey as a county or something particularly approve of marriage of close relatives ?Or something else?Any help will be much appreciated.:)

It's talking about in-breeding among what is called 'the county set' - the upper-middle classes who live in 'the stockbroker belt' - far enough from London to keep horses but close enough to commute. Society there is limited; people in her mother's day just didn't mix with 'the lower classes', so their morality had to be flexible when it came to finding a suitable mate.

Incidentally, 'drastically' doesn't collocate with 'refuse'. You could say 'fervently/vehemently/strenuously... refuses'. In this context you could also use the adjective 'adamant': 'she was adamant that she would never marry him'; (but I haven't ever met an adverb formed from 'adamant' - which means something like 'firm/stubborn/obdurate/unswerving....', so you've got to fiddle with the grammar a bit.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.