Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In an episode of a British TV series "Miranda ",Miranda and her friiends are talking about arranging a shopping bonanza.Part of their conversation goes as follow:
A:So, I suggest we meet just there tomorrow afternoon,shall we say four?
B:Brillo pads!
I did some checking and learned that Brillo pads is something like a scouring stuff,but I'm perplexed by the usage of this expression here.Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd guess it sounds like brilliant, which is shortened sometime in BrE to brill. The only slang usage of the term I know if for hair or pubic hair, which makes no sense here to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you think we ought to try to persuade the producers of 'Miranda' to attach a health warning to the programme - something like 'Watching Miranda can damage your language'?

Joe Kilroy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
I'd guess it sounds like brilliant, which is shortened sometime in BrE to brill. The only slang usage of the term I know if for hair or pubic hair, which makes no sense here to me.

I agree, it seems to mean 'brilliant' here, though it does seem a bit silly.:roll:

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you think we ought to try to persuade the producers of 'Miranda' to attach a health warning to the programme - something like 'Watching Miranda can damage your language'?
Brilliant and hilarious!I couldn't agree with you more.Some of the expressions are practically driving me crazy.If you can make it in "Miranda" ,you can make it everywhere.:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.