Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I often have problems with "Can" and "Could" in both writing and speaking English. I would like to know when we use "Can" and when we use "Could". In writing, which one is more formal?

Thanks,
Devon Pham

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I often have problems with "Can" and "Could" in both writing and speaking English. I would like to know when we use "Can" and when we use "Could". In writing, which one is more formal?

Thanks,
Devon Pham
Neither one is more "formal" than the other. If you are asking somebody to do something for you, it's more polite to use "could" "Could/can you help me with this please?" "Could" is also the past tense of "can", "I can only walk a few miles these days." "When I was young I could walk ten with ease". Does this help? If you have any more specific questions about their use, pleas post them.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Neither one is more "formal" than the other. If you are asking somebody to do something for you, it's more polite to use "could" "Could/can you help me with this please?" "Could" is also the past tense of "can", "I can only walk a few miles these days." "When I was young I could walk ten with ease". Does this help? If you have any more specific questions about their use, pleas post them.
Thank you! It really helps me alot.
I have one more question. In this case, I want to ask someone for help, should I say: "Could you do me a favour?" or "Can you do me a favour?"

Devon

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you! It really helps me alot.
I have one more question. In this case, I want to ask someone for help, should I say: "Could you do me a favour?" or "Can you do me a favour?"

Devon
"Could" is considered more polite when asking someone for help/to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.