• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

also grammar

Hi, I wondered what the difference is between correspond with and correspond to (in the sense of either "to be connected or related to sth or to be the same as sth lese) - please discard the sense of writing letters (correspond with)
    Another question - is the placement of IS correct (indirect question), should it follow the word WHAT or come at the end of the sentence?
    I wondered, what is the difference...? - now, with a comma and a question mark IS seems to be ok but what if these were missing
    I have one more question - which is/are correct: Between/among two and/or three... - I think there is at least a difference between and/or - e.g. I can only say: I woke up between four and five in the morning (perhaps 4.30 a. m.)
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: also grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Kudla View Post
    Hi, I wondered what the difference is between correspond with and correspond to (in the sense of either "to be connected or related to sth or to be the same as sth lese) - please discard the sense of writing letters (correspond with)
    There is no real difference in meaning, "with" and "to" are used interchangeably in everyday English.
    Another question - is the placement of IS correct (indirect question), should it follow the word WHAT or come at the end of the sentence?
    I wondered, what is the difference...? - now, with a comma and a question mark IS seems to be ok but what if these were missing. Firstly, in your examples it should be "was" not "is"; secondly, without the comma, "was" should go at the end of the sentence and no question mark is required.
    I have one more question - which is/are correct: Between/among two and/or three... - I think there is at least a difference between and/or - e.g. I can only say: I woke up between four and five in the morning (perhaps 4.30 a. m.)
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Thank you very much!
    As for the use of IS instead of WAS - do I really have to use WAS if I want to talk about present? I mean, Ive read that I wondered/had wondered are sometimes used to express nothing more than politeness (not past) - I wondered (now), not before (as I still wonder) - I wondered whether you can help me - or is the use of past tense required? - could, was...
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Kudla View Post
    Thank you very much!
    As for the use of IS instead of WAS - do I really have to use WAS if I want to talk about present? I mean, Ive read that I wondered/had wondered are sometimes used to express nothing more than politeness (not past) - I wondered (now), not before (as I still wonder) - I wondered whether you can help me - or is the use of past tense required? - could, was...
    Thanks
    "I wonder if you can..." or "I wondered if you could..."
    "I wonder what the difference is..." or "I wondered what the difference was..."