Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #1

    simpleXperfect tense

    I have spent my whole educational life in my hometown except my masters degree.

    I'll be glad if you'd help me out about the sentence above;

    1- Simple past or present perfect tense; which one should I use?
    2- Aside from the tense choice, does the sentence sound natural ?

    Thanks for your answers in advance.
    Last edited by euncu; 17-Dec-2010 at 20:20.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #2

    Re: simpleXperfect tense

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    I have spent my whole educational life in my hometown except my masters degree.

    I'll be glad if you'd help me out about the sentence above;

    1- Simple past or present perfect tense; which one should I use?
    2- Except the tense choise, does the sentence sound natural ?

    Thanks for your answers in advance.
    1. Present perfect.
    2. I can understand your sentence but I don't like the "......except my masters degree". How about ".......except for the period during which I pursued (or was pursuing) my masters degree".

  2. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #3

    Re: simpleXperfect tense

    Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    1. Present perfect.
    2. I can understand your sentence but I don't like the "......except my masters degree". How about ".......except for the period during which I pursued (or was pursuing) my masters degree".
    Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

    Since I conceive to use this sentence verbally (sorry for not having mentioned it before) not in written, the " ...for the period during which..... " part in the second answer sounded to me a bit formal and long to keep in mind. Will it be correct if I say ?; ...my whole educational life except my masters degree in my hometown.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,630
    #4

    Re: simpleXperfect tense

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

    Since I conceive to use this sentence verbally (sorry for not having mentioned it before) not in written, the " ...for the period during which..... " part in the second answer sounded to me a bit formal and long to keep in mind. Will it be correct if I say ?; ...my whole educational life except (for) my masters degree in my hometown.
    Yes, in conversation that's fine.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #5

    Re: simpleXperfect tense

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

    Since I conceive to use this sentence verbally (sorry for not having mentioned it before) not in written, the " ...for the period during which..... " part in the second answer sounded to me a bit formal and long to keep in mind. Will it be correct if I say ?; ...my whole educational life except my masters degree in my hometown.
    I'd include at least " ... except for my masters degree", which means "... except for (the time of) my master's degree."

    You could circumvent this with "I've received my entire education, except my masters degree, in my hometown."

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-May-2010, 08:55
  2. a strange situation! present tense? past tense?
    By nixgnoy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2010, 18:22
  3. [Grammar] present perfect contiunous tense vs past continuous tense
    By dkyeung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2009, 11:00
  4. embedded present tense under past tense
    By guzhao67 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2008, 21:01
  5. integrating past-tense quotes into present-tense essay
    By djtizzlemaster in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2007, 02:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •