• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

IELTS writing

My question concerns the IELTS task 2 essays. I wonder if one should state their opinion in the conclusion paragraph or they should state it in both introduction and conclusion paragraph. Is there any difference at all?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: IELTS writing

Quote Originally Posted by shabani View Post
    My question concerns the IELTS task 2 essays. I wonder if one should state their opinion in the conclusion paragraph or they should state it in both introduction and conclusion paragraph. Is there any difference at all?
    It depends what sort of an essay you are writing, whether it's comparative or presenting an opinion on something etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by shabani View Post
    Most of these essays give two opposing points of view and ask which you agree with and why. Ideally, you should state your opinion in the introduction; give your reasons and examples in the body, and then restate your opinion (qualified by your discussion) in the conclusion.
    If the marker doesn't know what you believe before they get to the conclusion, you haven't written a good essay.
    Remember, the conclusion is a summing up - you don't introduce new material here.

What I mean by repeating your opinion "qualified by your discussion" is this: In the introduction, you can say that you will be arguing the case for B. You do that in the body; and then in the conclusion, you can say something like: "From the arguments given above, even though there are some grounds for considering A, I believe that I've shown B to be the most useful course of action".

That's just one approach, but don't keep the marker guessing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Most of these essays give two opposing points of view and ask which you agree with and why. Ideally, you should state your opinion in the introduction; give your reasons and examples in the body, and then restate your opinion (qualified by your discussion) in the conclusion.
    If the marker doesn't know what you believe before they get to the conclusion, you haven't written a good essay.
    Remember, the conclusion is a summing up - you don't introduce new material here.

What I mean by repeating your opinion "qualified by your discussion" is this: In the introduction, you can say that you will be arguing the case for B. You do that in the body; and then in the conclusion, you can say something like: "From the arguments given above, even though there are some grounds for considering A, I believe that I've shown B to be the most useful course of action".

That's just one approach, but don't keep the marker guessing.
    Hi,
    I'd be grateful if you could answer this question too. Is this statement of the opinion put in the thesis statement? In most cases using the thesis statement we tell the readers what, or what aspects of the topic, will be discussed in our paragraphs, while no opinion is given.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi,
    I'd be grateful if you could answer this question too. Is this statement of the opinion put in the thesis statement? In most cases using the thesis statement we tell the readers what, or what aspects of the topic, will be discussed in our paragraphs, while no opinion is given.

Thanks.
    The thesis statement comes in the introduction, doesn't it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The thesis statement comes in the introduction, doesn't it?

Yes, it does. I wanted to know if our opinion should be given in the thesis statement or before it.

Thanks again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Yes, it does. I wanted to know if our opinion should be given in the thesis statement or before it.

Thanks again.
    The position that you are going to take is your thesis statement.
    That's why it should be in the introduction.