Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can we say like this:They are an honor to the country.
They are honors to the country.Which is correct?Thanks!

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can we say like this:They are an honor to the country.
They are honors to the country.Which is correct?Thanks!

Hello,

The first. and I think the word 'credit' is probably the better word to use.

Rgds

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, Richard - credit is definitely a better word to use.

Rover

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello,

The first. and I think the word 'credit' is probably the better word to use.

Rgds
I am sorry to say what you answered is not what I asked.In my original , I put forward 2 questions:1.Are the 2 sentences right?
2.If they are right,which is bettter?
They have nothing to do with credit.Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You should keep it singular, but in English, "they are a credit to their country" is a far more natural and expected thing to hear or read than "they are an honor to their country."

Sometimes, if we answer exactly what was asked, we do a disservice to the person asking.

They honor their country with their service/sacrifice/etc. is okay, but "They are an honor" is not natural. Please believe us in this.

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry but I think I answered exactly what you wanted to know. You said, "Can we say like this....which is correct". You didn't say 'Which is the better'.

My answer was that you could say the first (and by implication not the second), thereby specifically answering your question.

I also went on to say that the word honor was very unnatural and thought the word 'credit' was better. I could have been even more assertive and said that credit is definitely a much better and arguably the only word in the context. (And I'll leave aside the spelling of honor which is spelt 'honour' in Br. English :) )

Would you prefer it if we only answered the very specific point and didn't go on to tell you how native English speakers would in reality phrase the sentence, and changing words when they are not natural?

Rgds

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry but I think I answered exactly what you wanted to know. You said, "Can we say like this....which is correct". You didn't say 'Which is the better'.

My answer was that you could say the first (and by implication not the second), thereby specifically answering your question.

I also went on to say that the word honor was very unnatural and thought the word 'credit' was better. I could have been even more assertive and said that credit is definitely a much better and arguably the only word in the context. (And I'll leave aside the spelling of honor which is spelt 'honour' in Br. English :) )

Would you prefer it if we only answered the very specific point and didn't go on to tell you how native English speakers would in reality phrase the sentence, and changing words when they are not natural?

Rgds
I am so poor in English, that I couldn't understand your simple answer. Now I agree with you. Of course I prefer to your further explain about it.
Thank you very much!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You should keep it singular, but in English, "they are a credit to their country" is a far more natural and expected thing to hear or read than "they are an honor to their country."

Sometimes, if we answer exactly what was asked, we do a disservice to the person asking.

They honor their country with their service/sacrifice/etc. is okay, but "They are an honor" is not natural. Please believe us in this.
Thans for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.