• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

grammar question!!!

"Talking about the fact that we could have done that better if we did it this way instead of the way that it was already done and printed." That's a phrase from "MASH 30th Anniversary Reunion".

Shouldn't it be "If we had done it this...." ? I read it in a text-book sometimes might use the past simple instead of the past perfest in the third conditional "If had.... I would have done it different."? What about "it was alraedy done"? Is it because the speaker chose a less complex grammar construction? Shouldn't it be "it had already been...?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: grammar question!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Talking about the fact that we could have done that better if we did it this way instead of the way that it was already done and printed." That's a phrase from "MASH 30th Anniversary Reunion".

Shouldn't it be "If we had done it this...." ? I read it in a text-book sometimes might use the past simple instead of the past perfest in the third conditional "If had.... I would have done it different."? What about "it was alraedy done"? Is it because the speaker chose a less complex grammar construction? Shouldn't it be "it had already been...?
    WOW! They must have had a little too much of the "bubbly" at that reunion. If I may, I would say ".....if we had done it this way instead of the way it had (already) been done". Use of "already" in that context is redundant but you will see/hear it used that way.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by billmcd View Post
    WOW! They must have had a little too much of the "bubbly" at that reunion. If I may, I would say ".....if we had done it this way instead of the way it had (already) been done". Use of "already" in that context is redundant but you will see/hear it used that way.
    Is it colloquial "we could have done that better if we did it..." or "was already done and printed" instead of "had already been done..."?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Is it colloquial "we could have done that better if we did it..." or "was already done and printed" instead of "had already been done..."?
    I don't think I would identify it as colloquial; rather, "not grammatically precise".