Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,333
    #1

    came/had come

    On the day of the speech there were massive protests and demonstrations all over Cambridge from that morning. The protesters and demonstrators came/had come from London led by London School of Economics students. The very narrow roads of Cambridge were a chock-a-block and the lecture hall was surrounded by them.

    But, however, the Cambridge Studentís Union smuggled Lee Kuan Yew into the hall through a rear security door and he started his speech at the scheduled time.

    Which verb in bold should I use?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 27
    #2

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    On the day of the speech there were massive protests and demonstrations all over Cambridge from that morning. The protesters and demonstrators came/had come from London led by London School of Economics students. The very narrow roads of Cambridge were a chock-a-block and the lecture hall was surrounded by them.

    But, however, the Cambridge Studentís Union smuggled Lee Kuan Yew into the hall through a rear security door and he started his speech at the scheduled time.

    Which verb in bold should I use?

    Thanks in advance.
    Both tenses can be used here, but there is a difference in emphasis:
    Using came emphasizes that the protesters came at the same time as the day of the speech. Using had come emphasizes that the protesters had come before the speech.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #3

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Both tenses can be used here, but there is a difference in emphasis:
    Using came emphasizes that the protesters came at the same time as the day of the speech. Using had come emphasizes that the protesters had come before the speech.
    what???

  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 7
    #4

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Both tenses can be used here, but there is a difference in emphasis:
    Using came emphasizes that the protesters came at the same time as the day of the speech. Using had come emphasizes that the protesters had come before the speech.

    Thanks a lot

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #5

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Both tenses can be used here, but there is a difference in emphasis:
    Using came emphasizes that the protesters came at the same time as the day of the speech. Using had come emphasizes that the protesters had come before the speech.
    Not at all. How do you arrive at that conclusion?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #6

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    On the day of the speech there were massive protests and demonstrations all over Cambridge, from that morning. The protesters and demonstrators came/had come from London, led by London School of Economics students. The very narrow roads of Cambridge were a chock-a-block, and the lecture hall was surrounded by them.

    But, however, the Cambridge Students' Union smuggled Lee Kuan Yew into the hall through a rear security door, and he started his speech at the scheduled time.

    Which verb in bold should I use? You can use either one.

    Thanks in advance.
    2006

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 27
    #7

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Not at all. How do you arrive at that conclusion?
    The past tense refers to a specific time in the past while the past perfect refers to a time in the past that comes before another. Perhaps I am exaggerating emphasis. It is true that either one can be used, but which one we use should make at least an iota of difference, shouldn't it?

  3. mamen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Dec 2008
    • Posts: 312
    #8

    Post Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    On the day of the speech there were massive protests and demonstrations all over Cambridge from that morning. The protesters and demonstrators came/had come from London led by London School of Economics students. The very narrow roads of Cambridge were a chock-a-block and the lecture hall was surrounded by them.

    But, however, the Cambridge Studentís Union smuggled Lee Kuan Yew into the hall through a rear security door and he started his speech at the scheduled time.

    Which verb in bold should I use?

    Thanks in advance.
    Can we also use 'have come', here?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #9

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    The past tense refers to a specific time in the past while the past perfect refers to a time in the past that comes before another. only if you arbitrarily define/restrict their use that way
    Perhaps I am exaggerating emphasis. It is true that either one can be used, but which one we use should make at least an iota of difference, shouldn't it? I don't think that is necessarily so. Just because there are two or more ways to say something doesn't mean that they have to have different meanings or emphases.
    2006

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,146
    #10

    Re: came/had come

    Quote Originally Posted by mamen View Post
    Can we also use 'have come', here?
    No, "have come" refers to the present. The event in question is a past event.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •