Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The way you post some of your questions is irritating, ostap77. It seems you have posted a short dialogue entitled "possible answer". Do you want people to give you their opinion on its literary value? Or do you want somebody to tell you whether the second sentence is possible? Or perhaps to tell you what are the possible answers to

How have you been during the past week?

Or maybe to

I was sick. But I've been recovering now though I'm still coughind.

It isn't very difficult to post your actual question.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The way you post some of your questions is irritating, ostap77. It seems you have posted a short dialogue entitled "possible answer". Do you want people to give you their opinion on its literary value? Or do you want somebody to tell you whether the second sentence is possible? Or perhaps to tell you what are the possible answers to

How have you been during the past week?

Or maybe to

I was sick. But I've been recovering now though I'm still coughind.

It isn't very difficult to post your actual question.
The first sentence is the question and second one is the answer. I was wondering if grammar used in the second one makes sense?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you, please remember to ask precise questions.

No teacher has answered yet, so I'll tell you what I think. I'd use the present continuous tense, "I'm recovering now."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1)"How have you been during the past week?"

2)"I was sick. But I've been recovering now though I'm still coughind."
I haven't been well. But I'm recovering now, though I've still got a bit of a cough.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I haven't been well. But I'm recovering now, though I've still got a bit of a cough.

Suppose I felt sick on Friday and ran a high temperature. Buy on Saturday the temperature droped and I had only a bad cough. When Monday came and I met my friend I was almost OK just had a bit of a cough. Would it be possible to say it this way without "now''.

"I felt really sick. I've been recovering ( meaning since Saturday when the temperature droped) thought I have a bit of a cough." Possible?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Suppose I felt sick on Friday and ran a high temperature. Buy on Saturday the temperature droped and I had only a bad cough. When Monday came and I met my friend I was almost OK just had a bit of a cough. Would it be possible to say it this way without "now''.

"I felt really sick. I've been recovering ( meaning since Saturday when the temperature droped) thought I have a bit of a cough." Possible?
All things are possible, Ostap - even that one day you won't have a follow-up question to your original one.

You could indeed say it without 'now' though I feel that I would probably retain it. I would also retain the 'still'.

Status
Not open for further replies.