Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

What does the "with a tang to it" mean in this sentence?

He treated murder as a joke with a tang to it.

Thanks a lot

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
A "tang" is a sharp, biting flavour. Some people put lemon in water, to make their drink "tangy".

So murder was almost a joke to him, but to some degree he realized it was serious.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Tang = sharp flavour (think of lemons)

A joke with a tang has a sharpness, a bite.

The writer may be talking about a murderer with a perverted way of looking at his 'work', or a detective, reporter or novelist who could see only the intriguing (for them) aspects of a murder.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks you three a lot.

I got the sentence from my Chinese big dictionary, because the dictionary was edited by a professor in China, so I guess the sentences were made by himself.

According to the Chinese counterpart of the sentence, it means:

He thought killing someone was very common(indeed it is serious to kill someone), and within this commonness there was a little excitement.

So I wonder if the sentence means what I mentioned above(the bold part) to you?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Anyone can help to confirm it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I got the sentence from my Chinese big dictionary, because the dictionary was edited by a professor in China, so I guess the sentences were made by himself.

According to the Chinese counterpart of the sentence, it means:

He thought killing someone was very common(indeed it is serious to kill someone), and within this commonness there was a little excitement.

So I wonder if the sentence means what I mentioned above(the bold part) to you?

I think Munch, Tdol and I have probably said all we can with the information we have at the moment. Does your professor present this sentence as a quotation which accompanies a definitition. If so, which word is he defining? Or is it an encylopaedic dictionary with the sentence as information about a person?
I think that if you want confirmation (or rejection) of your thoughts, we'll neeed to see the whole dictionary entry.

On the information so far, your interpretation of the meaning could be correct, but I cannot state absolutely that it is correct.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does your professor(He is not my professor but a professor from a very famous university in China, and the big paper dictionary was edited by him and some other aids.) present this sentence as a quotation which accompanies a definitition.(There isn't an English definition, but a Chinese translation following the sentence. Imagine that, Five, my dear friend, you look up a term in a dictionary, then you can see the definition and sentence rather than the definition of the whole sentence, am I right?) If so, which word is he defining?(tang) Or is it an encylopaedic dictionary with the sentence as information about a person? (Just a common Chinese-English dictionary)
I think that if you want confirmation (or rejection) of your thoughts, we'll neeed to see the whole dictionary entry.(No need at all, you've helped me a lot)

On the information so far, your interpretation of the meaning could be correct, but I cannot state absolutely that it is correct.(Thanks, so according to you, the translation is correct but not for sure. Can you tell me why you said "Could"? Did you mean there could be many interpretations of the sentence? Maybe he treated murder as a joke but to a certain degree it was serious, like Munch said? or It also could mean what I said, He treated murder as a joke and it made him felt excited?)

Yours

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think it means common- I think he didn't take it seriously, didn't suffer from moral qualms about doing it or the thought of doing it, and got some excitement out of it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
On the information so far, your interpretation of the meaning could be correct.
Thanks, so according to you, the translation is correct but not for sure. Can you tell me why you said "Could"? Did you mean there could be many interpretations of the sentence? )

I simply meant that there is a possibility of the the interpretation being correct, though we see from the previous post that Tdol does not think so. I did not mean necessarily that there could be other meanings, though I accept this possibility.

You said there was no need to give us the whole definition - and then asked further questions! It is impossible to give answers that are 100% accurate without seeing the whole dictionary entry. Even then we might not be able to give totally reliable answers, because of our lack of knowledge of Chinese, though some among us might have such knowledge.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You said there was no need to give us the whole definition - and then asked further questions! It is impossible to give answers that are 100% accurate without seeing the whole dictionary entry. Even then we might not be able to give totally reliable answers, because of our lack of knowledge of Chinese, though some among us might have such knowledge.

I guess you've totally misunderstood what I meant, my dear friend. I wasn't saying I didn't want to give your the whole entry. But the paper dictionary is Chinese. The whole definition are Chinese. Actually, except the sentence all are Chinese. I won't be that impolite to mean that, my friend.

Reactions: 5jj
Status
Not open for further replies.