Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
It is correct to use the preposition at in this case.

A friend of mine and I were drinking in his mother's house, she's religious and doesn't like drinking at her home, but we both agreed to hide a bottle of whiskey covered with something in the bathroom in case she would come. While we were drinking I forgot the place where the whiskey was hid and I asked my friend for it and he answered me this way. Do you know where it's at ?

It is correct the way my friend told it, or Do you know where it is ? is the correct one or both can be used.

Reply me.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

A friend of mine and [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE]I were drinking in [STRIKE]her[/STRIKE]his mother's house, she's religious and doesn't like drinking in her home, but we both agreed to put a bottle of whiskey covered with something in the bathroom in case she would come[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]. While drinking, I forgot the place where the whiskey was and asked [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] my friend for it and he answered me this way. "Do you know where [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] it's at ?

It is correct the way my friend told it, or "Do you know where [STRIKE]is it [/STRIKE]? it is ?" (I prefer this version)

Reply me.

The old rule, perhaps gone the way of many rules of grammar, was/is to never end a sentence with a preposition. And in many cases, to follow that rule makes a statement sound much better. I believe that to be true in your example.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Yes, it is. The correct wording is Do you know where it is at?

My friend and I were drinking in her mother's house. Her mother is religious and doesn't like alcohol in her home, so we hid a bottle of whiskey in the bathroom. While drinking, I forgot where we hid the whiskey and asked my friend where it was. She answered me this way, "Do you know where it is at?"

(send a) Reply to me.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it is. The correct wording is Do you know where it is at?

My friend and I were drinking in her mother's house. Her mother is religious and doesn't like alcohol in her home, so we hid a bottle of whiskey in the bathroom. While drinking, I forgot where we hid the whiskey and asked my friend where it was. She answered me this way, "Do you know where it is at?"

(send a) Reply to me.

From "Grammar Girl" website:

When Can't You End a Sentence with a Preposition?

But, you can't always end sentences with prepositions. When you could leave off the preposition and it wouldn't change the meaning, you should leave it off. Really, I can't believe anyone would make such a silly mistake!

Hi Grammar girl, this is Brian and Alley from Iowa City, IA, and we were just wondering, in your last episode, you said, “That's where it's at.” Is that correct? We thought you couldn't end sentences with prepositions.

Ahem. That voice-mail message is at least four months old. I'm going to pretend I'm testifying before congress and say that I have no recollection of saying such a thing.

But if I did say, “That's where it's at.” I'm so sorry—the horror—because that is one of the instances where it's not OK to end a sentence with a preposition! I need to do some kind of grammar penance such as memorizing all the academic grammar words that start with i: imperative clause, indefinite article, idiot . . . .

The problem is that the sentence That's where it's at doesn't need the preposition. If you open the contraction “it-apostrophe-s” and say “That's where it is,” it means the same thing as That's where it’s at. So the at is unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.