Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1)"That means putting its national legislative base in line with Western standrds."

OR

2)"This would put the judicial system in the line with world judicial norms."

These two sentences are from the same article published in a Ukrainian magazine. In the first sentence "put in line" in the second one it's "put in the line". Which one is correct? Would "standarts" fit better than "norms" in the second sentence?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1)"That means putting its national legislative base in line with Western standrts." standards

OR

2)"This would put the judicial system in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] line with world judicial norms."

These two sentences are from the same article published in a Ukrainian magazine. In the first sentence "put in line" is used; in the second one it's "put in the line". Which one is correct? The first. Would "standar[STRIKE]t[/STRIKE]s" fit better than "norms" in the second sentence? Not necessarily.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

Might there be a difference in meaning between "put in line" and "put in the line"? Or "put in the line" is totally unacceptable?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Might there be a difference in meaning between "put in line" and "put in the line"? Or "put in the line" is totally unacceptable?
It is not acceptable in this context.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It is not acceptable in this context.
What is the difference between "put in line" and "put in the line"?

Does "to put something in line with something else" mean to make it as good as something else I mean to make something of the same standard, whereas "to put something in the line" means that it has to wait for its turn?

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
What is the difference between "put in line" and "put in the line"?
To put, bring or come into line with generally means to conform or cause to conform to a certain accepted norm. To put something or someone in the line should probably be taken literally, though I haven't heard this used frequently. "He put himself into the line at the box office" suggests to me that he crashed the line. "He put himself on the line at the box office" suggests to me that he was willing to wait his turn. Neither sentence sounds very natural. I would more likely say that "he got on line."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about '...would bring the judicial system into line with...'

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
How about '...would bring the judicial system into line with...'

Yes. I like it. But I don't know why they used "put in the line"? It was from an article in a Ukrainian magazine published in English. It should have been proofread.

Status
Not open for further replies.