[Grammar] simple sentence + absolute participle construction, which.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

duiter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Indonesia
Dear all,

Is this complex sentence pattern ''simple sentence + absolute participle construction, which......'' correct in formal writing ?

I use usingenglish.com , with English teachers being ready to answer, which makes learning English easy

Does '' which'' in this sentence modify '' I use usingenglish.com , with a lot of English teacher being ready to answer '' or '' I use usingenglish.com '' or '' with a lot of English teacher being ready to answer ''

Many thanks

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The structure could occur in formal writing:

1. The camp was heavily guarded by machine-gun towers, with sentries patrolling the barbed wire at regular intervals, which made escape almost impossible.

but maybe it sounds a little clumsy.

In your example, I would say that the "which" clause qualifies all that precedes it, i.e. the bundled concept of "using UE" + "eager teachers". In other contexts, this might not be the case, however.

(Is the construction genuinely "complex", or simply "compound", I wonder?)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Dear all,

Is this complex sentence pattern ''simple sentence + absolute participle construction, which......'' correct in formal writing ?
Yes, the pattern is used in formal writing as MrP has shown. Another example, my own: I waited, with my eyes closed tightly. The underlined portion is called a prepositional absolute (past) participle construction; it modifies the predicate in the main clause as an adverbial modifier, and as such is set-off by commas. Note that, the preposition 'with' is often omitted; e.g., I waited, my eyes closed tightly / My eyes closed tightly, I waited.

I use usingenglish.com , with English teachers being ready to answer, which makes learning English easy

Does '' which'' in this sentence modify '' I use usingenglish.com , with a lot of English teacher being ready to answer '' or '' I use usingenglish.com '' or '' with a lot of English teacher being ready to answer''

Well, let's test it. Which nominal does 'which' stands for?

...which makes learning easy

• usingenglish.com makes learning easy :tick:

• teachers [at usuingenglishcom] being ready to answer makes learning easy :tick:

In short, it appears as if 'which' stands for the noun 'usingenglishcom' which in turn is modified by the absolute participle phrase 'with English teachers...'. In other words, relative which indirectly modifies the absolute participle construct. The same pattern holds true here:

The camp was heavily guarded by machine-gun towers, with sentries patrolling the barbed wire at regular intervals, which made escape almost impossible.

MrPedantic said:
(Is the construction genuinely "complex", or simply "compound", I wonder?)
Compound, non?

• I use usingenglishcom
  • English teachers being ready to answer

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location