Is 'denigrate' used for thinking lowly of oneself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can 'denigrate' be used for thinking lowly of oneself. Or should it be used for thinking lowly of other people?

For example, "He denigrates himself because he is suffering from inferiority complex."

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can 'denigrate' be used for thinking lowly of oneself. Or should it be used for thinking lowly of other people?

For example, "He denigrates himself because he is suffering from (an) inferiority complex."
Thanks, Rover.

I wonder whether 'an' is needed after 'inferiority complex.'

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bear in mind that the inferiority complex would have to be extreme (pathological:)) for 'denigrate' to be the right word; it would involve saying (and believing) 'I am useless/a waste of space/a blot on the landscape/wicked/evil...' - 'denigration' is seriously blackening something. People who tend to 'talk themselves down'/'belittle themselves'/depreciate/under-value [exact English 'translation' of the Latinate 'depreciate' (Latin pretium = 'price')] themselves ... usually don't go so far as to denigrate themselves.

b

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
May I suggest a better word could be deprecate. We tend to denigrate others, not ourselves.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

"Denigrate" is not used for 'thinking' of anything. Denigrate describes written or verbal communication.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Re: not a teacher

"Denigrate" is not used for 'thinking' of anything. Denigrate describes written or verbal communication.
Denigrate is a verb. Of course we can use it in thought as presumably you have done here. You might be thinking - he deserves to be denigrated.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Deprecate - to regret deeply; to argue or protest against; to express disapproval of; to disparage.
Chambers.

Depreciate - to lower the worth of; to undervalue.
Chambers

I used deprecate knowingly as that seemed to me to better fit the circumstances.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: My message was for people who weren't aware that there are two words. ;-)

b

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
And I find I am often directing people to use their dictionaries.:roll::up:

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: not a teacher

Denigrate is a verb. Of course we can use it in thought as presumably you have done here. You might be thinking - he deserves to be denigrated.

Denigrate

: to attack the reputation of : defame <denigrate one's opponents>
: to deny the importance or validity of : belittle <denigrate their achievements>

These are verbal actions. For that matter, they're verbal actions that require an audience. You can't "denigrate" someone in the privacy of your brain. So this

\

is not possible.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Are you suggesting that I cannot think 'he really does need to be denigrated'?
I am thinking a lot and in those thoughts I use all sorts of words; I may denigrate, disparage, destroy, manufacture, believe, disbelieve anything that comes to mind. None of this requires an audience - which may be just as well should I wish to avoid being sued!

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you suggesting that I cannot think 'he really does need to be denigrated'?
I am thinking a lot and in those thoughts I use all sorts of words; I may denigrate, disparage, destroy, manufacture, believe, disbelieve anything that comes to mind. None of this requires an audience - which may be just as well should I wish to avoid being sued!

You can think about the action of denigration just as you may think about anything else in the world. You cannot actually denigrate something unless you express that feeling externally, by word or maybe by gesture (such as a thumbs-down). So the answer to the question that started the thread

is "no", because "denigrate" does not apply to thinking.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Quote: "He denigrates himself because he is suffering from inferiority complex."
As I'm sure you already know denigrate is both an adj and vt. Blackened or to blacken (a reputation).

I suggested the use of deprecate because we tend to denigrate others not ourselves. Deprecate is also a vt. I do not need an audience nor do I need to speak to anyone nor put anything in writing in order to deprecate myself.

Do you imagine that it is impossible for me to attack the reputation of another in my thoughts? Or to think of denying the validity of something? Surely you can see that I must give such matters due thought before anything else. A psychiatrist would be able to tell you just how much some people turn on themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.