Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
...'Beautiful paintings ________ (obviously, clearly, evidently, apparently) offer a distraction while ugly ones do not,' said Professor Marina de Tommaso. He said it was the first result to show beauty plays an important part in reducing bodily pain....Do the first three adverbs in the parentheses work as well in this context?Thank you in advance.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Professor Marina de Tommaso is quoted as saying, "Beauty obviously offers a distraction that ugly paintings do not." That statement was based on initial research findings; more research is needed. So,

obviously <based on what we have seen so far> :tick:
clearly <100% sure> It's OK, but might be too confident at this stage
evidently <based on evidence> It's OK, but 'obviously' (what we see) works better
apparently <it seems that way, but may not be that way> :cross:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
apparently <it seems that way, but may not be that way> :cross:
I feel that the words I have underlined are not necessarily implied when 'apparently' is used; and, for me, 'evidently' does not imply 'based on evidence. The two words are close in meaning, IMO.

I could use any of the four in this context.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I could use any of the four in this context.
Me, too, but, then again, we are not Professor Marina de Tommaso. So, yes, it's a moot point (open to debate).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Me, too, but, then again, we are not Professor Marina de Tommaso. So, yes, it's a moot point (open to debate).
My next question must be then: If you, like me, can use any of the four, why did you put a :cross: against the 'apparently' sentence?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
apparent [...]adj 1. readily visible or perceivable. 2. seeming. apparently adv. - Concise Oxford Dictionary.

apparently[...] adv. according to what you have heard or read; according to the way sth appears. - Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary.

So you have a dictionary to support your view, and I have a couple to support mine. Actually, what I wrote (emphasis added) was, "I feel that the words I have underlined (but may not be that way) are not necessarily implied when 'apparently' is used".

My question, which you quoted but did not answer, was: "If you, like me, can use any of the four, why did you put a :cross: against the 'apparently' sentence?"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it was because of the person who was the speaker; I too could have used all four, but the speaker was responding to the initial findings about beauty and pain relief and would be using apparently if they were questioning the findings, wouldn't they?.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
My question, which you quoted but did not answer, was: "If you, like me, can use any of the four, why did you put a :cross: against the 'apparently' sentence?"
It was answered. It just wasn't the answer you wanted. :lol:

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
This question raises a number of points; there is a difference between what the professor is quoted as saying, what he actually meant and what may be inferred. This then leads to a fuller assessment of the use of 'obviously, clearly, evidently, apparently' in this context.

The findings by the professor are not guaranteed to be repeated everywhere and with everyone. Therefore he can only make a claim against the number of people involved. But even here there must be some doubt if only because we do not know what questions he asked (without going through his research papers) and this makes a clear answer difficult.

He may say obviously because it is obvious to him as he assesses the results but it is not obvious to us.
Clearly is almost the same as obviously but not as strong.
Evidently is very strong as that implies he has been able to use scientific analysis which should stand up to rigorous challenge.
That leaves us with apparently which IMO is the correct answer. It can only be apparent because it cannot, as yet, be verified.:cool:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Evidently is very strong as that implies he has been able to use scientific analysis which should stand up to rigorous challenge.
I still feel, as I said originally, that 'evidently' does not imply 'based on evidence'. I feel that is not 'very strong'.

I go with the COD: - 1. plainly, obviously. 2. (qualifying a whole sentence) it is plain that; it would seem that.

Status
Not open for further replies.