The Lost Generatio (A paragraph I have written)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucef

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hi, I have just finished writing this paragraph. I'd like you to read it and comment. Tell me about my mistakes please. The paragraph is not long. Thanks in Avdance.

Lost generation is a term coined by Gertrude Stein, it is used to describe a group of writers and artists like Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound et al. They were not satisfied of their culture and they were opposed to the moral values of US life in the period following the first world war. therefore they moved to Paris to look for a cosmopolitan culture. In his novel The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway sheds lights on this group which was influenced by the war. As a matter of fact Jake Barnes is the worst example of the Lost Generation. He devotes all day drinking with friends. He has no sense of responsibility whereas he is a journalist but he no longer work and he has no objective in life as well as he moves from bar to bar and from café to café having fun. As far as Jake is concerned, Lady Brett is also influenced by the war. She cannot control her sexual desires. She jumps from one relationship to another. She dominates her fake lovers and exploites them. Jake Barnes and Lady Brett are two examples which apparently depict the post war in which values, moralities and principles utterly collapsed.

ucef

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
(What is the relationship between being a journalist and being responsible?

Thank you very much. In the novel Jake Barnes ias a journalist but he does not give time to his work that is why I said he is irresponsible so he does not care about his work.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ucef,

I saw your paragraph when it was in the "Ask a Teacher" forum. I just wanted to

congratulate you on your writing skills. Your paragraph was very impressive.

It shows that you have really learned English well. I am sure that you will continue

to improve, and one day you will be able to consider yourself fluent in English.

Best of luck.

ScotsMaggie

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Scotland
Current Location
United States
There are a few run-on sentences in your paragraph. These should be corrected with a comma preceding the second sentence, which I have colored red. Exploits does not have a second 'e' . I hope this is not too confusing for you. I used your original paragraph for more clarity.

" Lost generation is a term coined by Gertrude Stein. It is used to describe a group of writers and artists like Ernest Hemingway Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound et al. They were not satisfied of their culture, and they were opposed to the moral values of US life in the period following the first world war. therefore they moved to Paris to look for a cosmopolitan culture. In his novel The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway sheds lights on this group, which was influenced by the war. As a matter of fact Jake Barnes is the worst example of the Lost Generation. He devotes all day drinking with friends. He has no sense of responsibility whereas he is a journalist but he no longer works, and he has no objective in life as well as he moves from bar to bar and from café to café having fun. As far as Jake is concerned, Lady Brett is also influenced by the war. She cannot control her sexual desires. She jumps from one relationship to another. She dominates her fake lovers and exploitesexploits them. Jake Barnes and Lady Brett are two examples, which apparently depict the post war in which values, moralities and principles utterly collapsed."

ucef

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Ucef,

I saw your paragraph when it was in the "Ask a Teacher" forum. I just wanted to

congratulate you on your writing skills. Your paragraph was very impressive.

It shows that you have really learned English well. I am sure that you will continue

to improve, and one day you will be able to consider yourself fluent in English.

Best of luck.

Hello The Parser, how are you doing?
I want to thank you very much for the compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.