Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I go to a restaurant on New Year’s Eve.
In the sentence above I have used a preposition ‘on’. My teacher said it is wrong and it should be ‘in’. One of my native American friends said that he would also use ‘on’. Are we right in thinking?

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
On New Year's Eve.
'During' is acceptable but not 'in'. You cannot be 'in' just as you could not be 'out of' New Year's Eve.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I go to a restaurant on New Year’s Eve.
In the sentence above I have used a preposition ‘on’. My teacher said it is wrong and it should be ‘in’. One of my native American friends said that he would also use ‘on’. Are we right in thinking?

"ON", and maybe you should suggest that your teacher join the forum.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Shouldn't that be 'your teacher joins the forum'?:)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've heard the subjunctive was more alive in the US than in the UK.

I'd use "join" there as well.

As in, I suggest he go, and quickly.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Shouldn't that be 'your teacher joins the forum'?:)

Imperatives, requests, wishes, suggestions etc. may use the subjunctive verb form, in this case a singular subject (teacher) and plural verb form (join).

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've heard the subjunctive was more alive in the US than in the UK.

I'd use "join" there as well.

As in, I suggest he go, and quickly.
I would use "join" as well. ;-)

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
This is all about semantics. I suggest that the more natural version is the one I put forward. The other has an awkward sound to it.
Given that this forum is to help those who need to understand English and even more importantly speak understandable English, then the simpler the better. Teacher is singular, and a learner would expect to see the singular use of the verb. The rest can wait for more advanced learning.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
This is all about semantics. I suggest that the more natural version is the one I put forward. The other has an awkward sound to it.
Given that this forum is to help those who need to understand English and even more importantly speak understandable English, then the simpler the better. Teacher is singular, and a learner would expect to see the singular use of the verb. The rest can wait for more advanced learning.
OK, but students of English at all levels use this site. It's great to point out that you think your "version" is more natural. It's also right that other native English speakers/teachers should put forward their knowledge of the language, and say what they find natural, for the benefit of more advanced learners.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
OK, but students of English at all levels use this site. It's great to point out that you think your "version" is more natural. It's also right that other native English speakers/teachers should put forward their knowledge of the language, and say what they find natural, for the benefit of more advanced learners.
As you may have noted from other threads, apex, I am one who questions the need for labelling forms as 'subjunctive. However, I am with bhaisa on this.

You write, "This is all about semantics. I suggest that the more natural version is the one I put forward. The other has an awkward sound to it." IMHO, it has an awkward sound only to those who do not use it. To those who do use it, the alternative sound awkward.

Given that this forum is to help those who need to understand English and even more importantly speak understandable English, then the simpler the better.
Agreed - so long as 'simple' does not been 'artificially simplified'.

Teacher is singular, and a learner would expect to see the singular use of the verb. And in the construction we are talking about, a form appropriate to a singular noun is used. (It's not a plural verb, bilmcd; it's a present subjunctive form, which is the same for all persons.)

The rest can wait for more advanced learning.
A full explanation perhaps can wait for more advanced levels, but to delay what some consider to be the only 'correct' form would seem to be allowing a teacher's opinion to influence the amount of knowledge a learner has a right to.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Since this is a thread about 'in' and 'on', I have the following question :)
Which preposition should I choose if I want to say:
"What are you going to do in/on your winter holidays?"

PS I've never thought that the subjunctive is considered to be 'advanced' grammar ))

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since this is a thread about 'in' and 'on', I have the following question :)
Which preposition should I choose if I want to say:
"What are you going to do in/on your winter holidays?"

I think on, over, for, and during all work for that.

Last edited:

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

On New Year's Eve.
'During' is acceptable but not 'in'. You cannot be 'in' just as you could not be 'out of' New Year's Eve.

"During"? I'd never use "during" for a scheduled event on a calendar date.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Teacher is singular, and a learner would expect to see the singular use of the verb. And in the construction we are talking about, a form appropriate to a singular noun is used. (It's not a plural verb, bilmcd; it's a present subjunctive form, which is the same for all persons.)

Well, maybe our semantics are showing. What I meant was, "plural form" as in that which would be used with we, you(pl.) and they. Or perhaps I should have stated "a plural use of the verb" which, I think, makes it more understandable to someone who may not be familiar with the use of the subjunctive mood, let alone the term "present subjunctive".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
.. in the construction we are talking about, a form appropriate to a singular noun is used. (It's not a plural verb, bilmcd; it's a present subjunctive form, which is the same for all persons.)

What I meant was, "plural form" as in that which would be used with we, you(pl.) and they. Or perhaps I should have stated "a plural use of the verb" which, I think, makes it more understandable to someone who may not be familiar with the use of the subjunctive mood, let alone the term "present subjunctive".
As Verona has implied, we are getting away from the original question. However, as we've started...
Whether or not we actually use the tern 'subjunctive', I think it's misleading to talk about a 'plural use of the verb' when it is not plural. It is the same form that we use in the first and second persons singular.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Re: not a teacher

"During"? I'd never use "during" for a scheduled event on a calendar date.
But the question was about 'holidays'. This is an arranged ( we would not use 'scheduled' which is more for business use) event spread over a number of days (not just one day). During the holidays is normal when referring to a succession of events and even the passing of the days.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
You write, "This is all about semantics. I suggest that the more natural version is the one I put forward. The other has an awkward sound to it." IMHO, it has an awkward sound only to those who do not use it. To those who do use it, the alternative sound awkward.
I have used it but I don't like it in general.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.