Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    Repeating a word

    "A buyer of substantial assets or all assets of X Ltd. ...."

    Would you get rid of the "assets" in bold?

    Thanks!

  1. apex2000's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

    • Join Date: Nov 2005
    • Posts: 785
    #2

    Re: Repeating a word

    No. It is clearer that way and I would add 'all the assets' to ensure understanding.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #3

    Re: Repeating a word

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "A buyer of substantial assets or all assets of X Ltd. ...."

    Would you get rid of the "assets" in bold?

    Thanks!
    Are you talking about substantial assets, that is to say assets which are large in size, or do you mean a substantial quantity/number of assets?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #4

    Re: Repeating a word

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Are you talking about substantial assets, that is to say assets which are large in size, or do you mean a substantial quantity/number of assets?
    The latter.

    "A buyer of a substantial number of assets or all the assets of X Ltd." would probably be better. Right?

    Thanks!

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #5

    Re: Repeating a word

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    The latter.

    "A buyer of a substantial number of assets or all the assets of X Ltd." would probably be better. Right?

    Thanks!
    Yes, though perhaps "A buyer of all, or a substantial number, of the assets of X Ltd" would be better.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] keep repeating over and over again?
    By ZaraCastle in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Dec-2010, 09:00
  2. [Grammar] Repeating the same word in the same sentence
    By muze in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2010, 11:03
  3. Repeating...
    By bieasy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2008, 00:46
  4. repeating words
    By Amy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-May-2005, 14:39
  5. it;it;it;it repeating it to death
    By paulo costa in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2004, 20:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •