• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Question what do they mean?

Hi. I need your help to prevent misunderstanding of the following bold phrases in the context:

X:The fairest tax code would be the one that only taxes bald people.
    Y:(smacks X in the chops) Nyuk! Nyuk!
    Does it mean that Y punch X on the face and laughes?

Lest anyone think this stuff is dry as a prairie patty.

As we shovel our way through the political patty field, we will uncover deceptions.

Secretary Powell pushed back, urging a focus on Al-Qaeda...

IT IS KIND OF LIKE WE ARE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER OF A FOOTBALL GAME AND YOU ARE THE QUARTERBACK AND YOUR TEAM IS WAY AHEAD HERE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, AND OPPONENTS ARE VERY DESPERATE. THEY ARE TRYING TO SACK YOU AND AREN'T DOING A VERY GOOD JOB OF IT.
    THEY HAVE NOT HIT YOU ALL DAY NOW FOR TWO DAYS, AND YOU ARE GOING TO KEEP GETTING THESE LAST MINUTE HAIL MARYS THROWN AT YOU. SO JUST BEAR WITH US. (senator Chuck Grassley)
    (As I don't have any idea about football and the Alito Supreme court nomination, I cannot imagine what he means here. There is a kind of weak anology in what he says but I cannot understand what it is)

Pls kindly explain these in other words to let me understand them.
    Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: what do they mean?

Quote Originally Posted by lorenya View Post
    Hi. I need your help to prevent misunderstanding of the following bold phrases in the context:

X:The fairest tax code would be the one that only taxes bald people.
    Y:(smacks X in the chops) Nyuk! Nyuk!
    Does it mean that Y punch X on the face and laughes?
    Yes. Is this from The Three Stooges? If so, you need a guy to explain the humor. Like most women I know, their humor is lost on me.

Lest anyone think this stuff is dry as a prairie patty.
    I'm not sure what a prairie patty is, but "dry as dust" is a pretty common thing to say, and it means really, really boring.

As we shovel our way through the political patty field, we will uncover deceptions.
    In this case, I believe the speaker is referring to "cow pies" -- cow poo, a lot of bullsh*t, which means nonsense/lies/deception, in increasing order of seriousness.
    Secretary Powell pushed back, urging a focus on Al-Qaeda...

IT IS KIND OF LIKE WE ARE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER OF A FOOTBALL GAME AND YOU ARE THE QUARTERBACK AND YOUR TEAM IS WAY AHEAD HERE IN THE FOURTH QUARTER, AND OPPONENTS ARE VERY DESPERATE. THEY ARE TRYING TO SACK YOU AND AREN'T DOING A VERY GOOD JOB OF IT.
    THEY HAVE NOT HIT YOU ALL DAY NOW FOR TWO DAYS, AND YOU ARE GOING TO KEEP GETTING THESE LAST MINUTE HAIL MARYS THROWN AT YOU. SO JUST BEAR WITH US. (senator Chuck Grassley)
    (As I don't have any idea about football and the Alito Supreme court nomination, I cannot imagine what he means here. There is a kind of weak anology in what he says but I cannot understand what it is)
    We're coming in to the end of the process, and people are desperate to beat you/make you look bad/discredit you, so they will (metaphorically) hit you with things that have little chance of success -- but they are still going to try.
    Pls kindly explain these in other words to let me understand them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi. Please post questions that are unrelated in separate threads.

If you really want to understand the various football metaphors individually, let me know.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: what do they mean?

"Prairie patties" are cow pies.