1. They modify verbs.Originally Posted by rannma
2. They also modify ADJECTIVES.
The whispered speech.
Subject, adjective, noun.
The LOUDLY whispered speech.
Adverb, adjective, noun.
LOUDLY modifys the adjective WHISPERED... it tells how the speech was whispered.
3. They can modify other ADVERBS.
It was whispered MORE loudly than before. The adverb MORE modifies the adverb LOUDLY.
4. They can modify an entire sentence.
HAPPILY, there is only one more way to use an adverb. The adverb HAPPILY modifys/amplifies the entire sentence.
5. They be a CONJUNCTION between phrases.
After I have listed five types of adverbs, FINALLY, I think I am done. The adverb FINALLY both modifies and joins the two parts of the sentence.
Does that help?