Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Puerto Rico
Current Location
United States
I might need help further down the road on this letter, however I am currently stuck on an opening statement of the third paragraph. The letter starts out with some off subject topics, then starts with the main topic. Here's where I need help...

"Moving on to the rudiments of this letter to you"

The sentense seems weird, to me. Variations of this sentense would also be greatly appreciated!

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Moving on to the purpose for this letter.

Skrymik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Moving on to the purpose for this letter.

Careful, that sounds like a sentence fragment.

You don't necessarily need to use words such as "moving along" or "now I'm moving on to". You don't need to let the reader know "Look, now after writing two paragraphs get ready and get set because I am going to get to my point! Grab some popcorn, here I go... Weeeeeeeeee". You just have to have a good transition from the 2nd to the 3rd paragraph and the reader will get the point that you are moving on.

Basically, you don't have to say "I'm now moving onto..." The reader will deduce that from the whole 'theme' or message conveyed by the letter. However, if you MUST let the reader know that the main theme of the letter is in the proceeding sentences, you may try:

"The purpose of this letter I am writing to you is..."
or
"I was actually writing this letter to you in order to... or because... etc. etc."
or after those first two paragraphs, a decent transition could be
"So, I decided to write this letter to you because... etc."

Hopefully this helps. When you say "Now I am continuing to the actual purpose of this letter," it's the same as people who start papers by writing "I'm writing this paper about..."

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.