English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
"He must have meant to tell her"

A friend is to write a lesson plan on that - something they all have to do in that school - and asked for some help.
Target student should be intermediate level and she also has to write possible problems the student might face.

Any suggestion

Thanks

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

A friend is to write a lesson plan on that - something they all have to do in that school - and asked for some help.
Target student should be intermediate level and she also has to write possible problems the student might face.

Any suggestion

Thanks

Hi,
This may not be a great idea, but something that works at times. She can write a short funny story aboyt a person who experienced a series of troubles in achieving or doing something (this could also be a piece of a film). Te students read/watch/listen to the material and then in groups they have to guess what the cause of the problem in each case was. For example, for a person who can't pay for something, 'she must have left her wallet/purse at home', 'somebody must have pinched that!', 'She can't have had any money at all!', etc. She'd better encourage the students to make up funny and imaginary reasons.

I'm eager to see some practical comments from some teachers.

Thanks.

Last edited:

johng

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Any suggestion

Thanks

Problems:

1. The use of modal auxiliaries and how they affect meaning in a sentence is the first problem.
  2. The usual use of mean in a language classroom is usually "what does this word mean?" So the teach needs to help students understand this use of mean probably through some examples.
  3. A third problem that I see comes from teaching about something that did not happen. In other words, he did not tell her.

Some of Mehgran's activities would bring out these language points.

I hope this helps some.

henny008

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Problems:

Some of Mehgran's activities would bring out these language points.

Hello,

cna you please tell me where to find them? - I am not that familiar with the site yet!

Thanks!!

henny008

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
This may not be a great idea, but something that works at times. She can write a short funny story aboyt a person who experienced a series of troubles in achieving or doing something (this could also be a piece of a film).
Thanks.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm really hoping my friend to get a very positive feedback on this so that they get her the job -her boss want to write a book to sell in other English schools and is to decide who is going to help her on the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.