Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I'll appreciate if you help me out on differentiating these words.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see a difference between jumping and leaping, although hopping is on one foot.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
NOT A TEACHER.

"Jumping" and "leaping" connote a greater amount of time spent in the air than "hopping."

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
If we consider one of the athletics disciplines we have the hop, skip and jump (as it used to be called and the action still follows that description). Watch the action; the athlete take a run up to the start board where s/he hops off from one foot, lands on the other foot then takes off for the final jump when s/he lands on both feet. There is little or no discernible difference between the time in the air for each one.

However, a jump is either up and down or an attempt to cover a horizontal distance. A leap is most likely an attempt to get somewhere, such as across a gorge, crevasse or other obstacle and may also be a leap out from a cliff down into water but not upwards. The hop is performed (jumping or leaping) taking off from one foot and landing on the other one.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The hop is performed (jumping or leaping) taking off from one foot and landing on the other one.

I think you'll find, apex, that hopping means landing on the same foot that you took off with.

Rover

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Oh dear! Time for me to get my eyes tested and the prescription changed. Apologies all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.