• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

help

Hello, what are the different language style and what is the link between the context and the style? Hope to take it for considration...Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: help

Your question is unclear. Can you provide examples and then ask about them?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

A language has different styles such as ( formal,informal, direct, polite..) and the styles differ from one context to the other ( I mean by the context , the topic, the reason... ). The reason behind my question is how to link between the style and the context.
    If we take a doctor out side his/her work and meet one of his/her patient how the conversation will be? will he/she talk the same way, or his/her style will change.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Now I see what you are considering. The answer is a mixture. In most cases it will depend upon the individuals and their previous contacts. A professional person, say a consultant, may wish to remain on a professional basis when meeting a patient in a social context. It will always be the more important role that decides whether to relax and treat the other on a more informal basis.

There are some 'hidden' barriers that most people recognise, but in general most contacts are more informal nowadays unless there is a serious side to any discussion. Meeting a senior policeman can be difficult as he may change his approach depending upon whether any of his junior ranks are present.

The greatest difficulty is for someone like your local GP. They are always busy, under pressure and taking up some of their precious time on inconsequential matters can be annoying. Every patient, except in the surgery consultation, should recognise that their GP may be happy to acknowledge a passing 'hello' and not to involve the GP in chat.

Are there any specific examples that wish to have some advice on?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

Thank you

Thank you very much...I appreciate that