difference between "I saw him cross the bridge" and "I saw him crossing the bridge"

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
difference between "I saw him cross the bridge" and "I saw him crossing the bridge"

Some grammar books explain the difference between the two sentences like this.
1. I saw him cross the bridge. (I watched the whole action from him going from the entrance to the ending point of the bridge)
2. I saw him crossing the bridge.(I watched him at some point of moving)

Is it really what native speakers perceive and think or do they make little difference in meaning?
A kind help will be highly appreciated.

DavidA

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: difference between "I saw him cross the bridge" and "I saw him crossing the bridg

I am not an English teacher.

But I am a native English speaker. It is true that the first example suggests the complete action was seen, and the second that only part of it was, but to a native English speaker, this detail is extremely pedantic and in general usage they mean virtually the same thing. :)

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: difference between "I saw him cross the bridge" and "I saw him crossing the bridg

Not a teacher, but native American English speaker for 53 years.

If I were an observer to some EVENT which involved participants moving through a specific course, I MIGHT say, "I saw him cross the bridge." thus indicating I saw him complete this portion of the entire course.

I would be much more likely to report that "I saw him as he was crossing the bridge." indicating that I happened to see him at some point while he was crossing the bridge.

To me there is a difference in meaning between the two. I would most likely use 'crossing' if I saw him at any point along the bridge.

I would use 'cross' only if I either saw him through the entire trip over the bridge, or if I witnessed the COMPLETION of the trip across the bridge.

That's my opinion.

maapaa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Thailand

A teacher - but not native American English speaker.

For me it's all about the duration of what you are doing.
If you walk along a river, look around and see somebody entering a bridge, crossing the bridge and leaving it on the other side ... then I would call it "I watched him cross the bridge" (from the start until the end).
But if you walk along a river, look around and see somebody at any point on the bridge, turn your head away from him and go on your way - then I would call it "I saw him crossing the bridge" (for a moment).

Not sure if my comment is helpful, right or even wrong.

Thanks for reading

Status
Not open for further replies.