• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

child school place

"You need to submit two cheques by the 28 January 2011, one of which will be a deposit payment to secure a school place for your child and is payable immediately. The other cheque is for another payment named ABC and may be post-dated 21 May, 2011.
    For the above payment, we will hold the place for your child pending clearance of ABC cheque at which point the place will be secured."

For the above statement, does it mean the child school place will still be secured even the cheque for the payment of ABC is post-dated 21 May 2011?

Many thanks/ ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: child school place

It's extremely difficult to understand. First it says that after the first one is cashed, the place is secure. Then it says that it's secure only after the second one clears. If it's post-dated, that won't be until May.

I think you need to seek clarification.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • UK

My interpretation is as follows:

Two cheques are required to be submitted by 28 January 2011: one (the deposit) is payable immediately; whereas, the second (ABC), may be deferred until 21 May 2011 (ie marking the cheque so that funds will only be released from your bank account on 21 May 2011 and onwards).

The place is secured when these two cheques have been received and depositted by the recipient, ie the school.

Note: you should look up the banking conditions regarding the post-dating of cheque payments as they vary in different countries.

If in doubt, seek further clarification from the school itself and protect yourself from losing money.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Post dating of cheques is generally not acceptable. It is quite possible for such a cheque to be presented immediately and debited to the account (rules will vary according to country). That is because banks have decided to examine only certain cheques, normally based upon the amount. One bank may choose 2,000 another a higher figure. In general, there is mention of this on the account opening form.

Clearance of the cheque is very straightforward. The cheque can only be cleared by the bank when it is presented. Therefore, as the intention appears to be that the cheque will be held by the school until the forward date then it will not be cleared before the child is due to attend the school.

Therefore the instructions are incorrect and investigation is necessary.