Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,661
    #1

    past tense

    Regarding the tense, shall I say the action of past tense happens later than those of present perfect tense.

    eg. I went back home after my mum has just got back from Japan.


    Thanks / ju

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 72
    #2

    Re: past tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Regarding the tense, shall I say the action of past tense happens later than those of present perfect tense.

    eg. I went back home after my mum has just got back from Japan.


    Thanks / ju
    NOT A TEACHER
    No.You should say
    "I went back home after my mum had got back from Japan"

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #3

    Re: past tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Regarding the tense, shall I say the action of past tense happens later than those of present perfect tense.

    eg. I went back home after my mum has just got back from Japan.


    Thanks / ju
    The blue tense is wrong. You COULD make it past perfect, but you don't need to since the word "after" makes the tense clear.

    Better is I went back home just after my mum got back [better: returned] from Japan.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,661
    #4

    Re: past tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    The blue tense is wrong. You COULD make it past perfect, but you don't need to since the word "after" makes the tense clear.

    Better is I went back home just after my mum got back [better: returned] from Japan.
    ************************************************** ***********

    1) Sorry, I get confused in under what situations shall
    a) past and present perfect tenses appear in one sentence?
    b) past and past perfect tenses appear in one sentence?
    c) present and present perfect tenses appear in one sentence?

    2) Shall I say:
    a) I put my hands on my laps.
    b) I put my hands in my laps.

    3) Shall I say lap or laps in the question 2)

    The above are not homework but they have been a big question mark in my mind for long.

    Tks / ju

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #5

    Re: past tense

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    ************************************************** ***********

    1) Sorry, I get confused in under what situations shall
    a) past and present perfect tenses appear in one sentence?
    b) past and past perfect tenses appear in one sentence?
    c) present and present perfect tenses appear in one sentence?

    2) Shall I say:
    a) I put my hands on my laps.
    b) I put my hands in my laps.

    3) Shall I say lap or laps in the question 2)

    The above are not homework but they have been a big question mark in my mind for long.

    Tks / ju
    The simple answer is that each clause must make sense in the tense you write it, and the whole sentence must make sense.
    You wrote:
    "I went back home after my mum has just got back from Japan."
    In this case, each clause makes sense, but if you think about what they mean, you can't put them together.
    The present perfect in the last clause is a present tense. It says what has just happened - what is completed in the present. You can't therefore say that you went home after it, because it has just barely happened.

    It might be useful if you tried to answer question 1. yourself, and post some sentences in those tenses which you think make sense.

    You should start a new thread for further questions. Your first question is complex enough, and hasn't been answered yet. The thread can only go downhill if people start answering bits and pieces of your post. (Anyhow, I'll dispense with it: You say 'lap', and you can use either 'in' or 'on'.)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27-Nov-2010, 23:08
  2. [Grammar] present perfect contiunous tense vs past continuous tense
    By dkyeung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2009, 11:00
  3. [Grammar] Present tense form, the past tense form and the past participle
    By foggyfield in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2009, 04:13
  4. [Grammar] present tense, past tense, past participal
    By aisog in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2008, 00:59
  5. integrating past-tense quotes into present-tense essay
    By djtizzlemaster in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2007, 02:19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •