• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Compound sentence

When one adds the word that to a compound sentence does it change the structure of the sentence. For example, in the sentence, he was a good ruler and that defying him would bring chaos to the country, is this still a compound sentence? I know a compound sentence is made of two simple sentences attached by a coordinating conjunction preceded by a comma. The use of that boggles my thinking on the structure. What do you think? Please clarify.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Compound sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Nevsky View Post
    When one adds the word that to a compound sentence does it change the structure of the sentence. For example, in the sentence, he was a good ruler and that defying him would bring chaos to the country, is this still a compound sentence? I know a compound sentence is made of two simple sentences attached by a coordinating conjunction preceded by a comma. The use of that boggles my thinking on the structure. What do you think? Please clarify.
    =============================
    Not a teacher, 53-year-old American.
    =============================

I think you are asking about this sentence:

He was a good ruler and that defying him would bring chaos to the country.
    In my opinion, there is a problem with the structure of this sentence. The meaning is not clear as a result.

Perhaps this is the meaning:
    "He was a good ruler, and defying him would bring chaos to the country."
    The implication of this sentence is that he - being a good ruler - was also a popular ruler. Defying a good and popular ruler would indeed bring chaos to the country. I really don't see how one could properly add 'that' to this sentence.

A more common use of 'that' is to indicate paraphrased information - as opposed to quoted information.

She said, "I am going to town." (A direct quote - these are the actual words she used.)

She told us that she was going to town. (We do not know the exact words 'she' used - only that she was going to town.)

I hope these examples help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Compound sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Nevsky View Post
    The that-clause could be interpreted as an elliptical phrase '(the idea) that...', which would make the that-clause a subject:

• He was a good ruler, and that defying him would bring chaos to the country just wasn't true.