Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When one adds the word that to a compound sentence does it change the structure of the sentence. For example, in the sentence, he was a good ruler and that defying him would bring chaos to the country, is this still a compound sentence? I know a compound sentence is made of two simple sentences attached by a coordinating conjunction preceded by a comma. The use of that boggles my thinking on the structure. What do you think? Please clarify.

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When one adds the word that to a compound sentence does it change the structure of the sentence. For example, in the sentence, he was a good ruler and that defying him would bring chaos to the country, is this still a compound sentence? I know a compound sentence is made of two simple sentences attached by a coordinating conjunction preceded by a comma. The use of that boggles my thinking on the structure. What do you think? Please clarify.

=============================
Not a teacher, 53-year-old American.
=============================

I think you are asking about this sentence:

He was a good ruler and that defying him would bring chaos to the country.

In my opinion, there is a problem with the structure of this sentence. The meaning is not clear as a result.

Perhaps this is the meaning:
"He was a good ruler, and defying him would bring chaos to the country."
The implication of this sentence is that he - being a good ruler - was also a popular ruler. Defying a good and popular ruler would indeed bring chaos to the country. I really don't see how one could properly add 'that' to this sentence.

A more common use of 'that' is to indicate paraphrased information - as opposed to quoted information.

She said, "I am going to town." (A direct quote - these are the actual words she used.)

She told us that she was going to town. (We do not know the exact words 'she' used - only that she was going to town.)

I hope these examples help.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
The that-clause could be interpreted as an elliptical phrase '(the idea) that...', which would make the that-clause a subject:

• He was a good ruler, and that defying him would bring chaos to the country just wasn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.