Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Hello all:
I have a question about using “Dare”
As I know, when we use do or does we have to use (to) after dare: Do you dare to go there? Or He doesn’t dare to do that. (Also I think these sentences are correct, dare you go there? Or he dare not go there), please correct me if I am wrong.
How should we use dare for a question like this:
Dare I hope that you are jealous? (Please let me know the meaning of this sentence)
Would you please give me more example?
Regards

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello all:
I have a question about using “Dare”
As I know, when we use do or does we have to use (to) after dare: Do you dare to go there? Or He doesn’t dare to do that. (Also I think these sentences are correct, dare you go there? Or he dare not go there), please correct me if I am wrong.
How should we use dare for a question like this:
Dare I hope that you are jealous? (Please let me know the meaning of this sentence)
Would you please give me more example?
Regards

Hi,

First of all, you do not use the auxiliary to make questions with "dare". So you should write "Dare you go...?"

And about the meaning of the sentence, as I understand it, the person asking is expecting the other one to be jealous, which is not his/her usual reaction; this change is fascinating or engrossing for the speaker.

Greetings

Charliedeut

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As I know, when we use do or does we have to use (to) after dare:
From the New York Times, 2005:
Now, Gaddis Smith was a graduate-schoolmate of mine and very much a star even then and has remained a star historian ever since. So do I dare suggest that in this one instance, in a brilliant career going on 50 years now, that Gaddis Smith might have been wrong?
No "to".

Status
Not open for further replies.