Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #1

    Question "houseman", in BrE?

    Hi all,

    Is the word "houseman" still preferred to "intern" in BrE?


    Thanks.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: "houseman", in BrE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Is the word "houseman" still preferred to "intern" in BrE?
    I delayed my answer, as I left England twelve years ago, and I hoped that somebody with more current knowledge would answer.However, twelve hours have passed and nobody has stepped in, so here is my (possibly outdated) answer.

    As far as I know, 'intern' is now generally used in the UK, except in the medical field. There, 'intern' is still not used, though 'houseman' has been replaced by the non-sexist 'house officer'.

  3. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #3

    Re: "houseman", in BrE?

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I delayed my answer, as I left England twelve years ago, and I hoped that somebody with more current knowledge would answer.However, twelve hours have passed and nobody has stepped in, so here is my (possibly outdated) answer.

    As far as I know, 'intern' is now generally used in the UK, except in the medical field. There, 'intern' is still not used, though 'houseman' has been replaced by the non-sexist 'house officer'.

    Hi,
    Many thanks to you dear fivejedjon. I wish my Cambridge dictionary had the term "House Officer" too! Ta!

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #4

    Re: "houseman", in BrE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi,
    Many thanks to you dear fivejedjon. I wish my Cambridge dictionary had the term "House Officer" too! Ta!
    You are welcome , but don't forget that I may be wrong/outdated.
    ps: 'House officer' is in the Oxford ALD.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #5

    Re: "houseman", in BrE?

    Intern is the standard term I hear used in BrE nowadays.

  5. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #6

    Re: "houseman", in BrE?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Intern is the standard term I hear used in BrE nowadays.


    Thanks. Even in medicine?

Similar Threads

  1. "Sudsy", used in BrE?
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2010, 22:46
  2. "Ride a train/car..."? In BrE?
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2010, 10:05
  3. Any BrE term for "pet peeves"?
    By Mehrgan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Sep-2009, 20:55
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •