Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 27
    #1

    Out of

    Give each blank with a suitable preposition with "OUT OF"
    1. This month is not the time for strawberries, they are ............. now.
    2. Go and lie down if you are feeling ..............
    3. I can't accept this gift, it is ............
    4. Your licence is ............. and you will have to get a new one.

    Here are my answers:
    1. out of reason
    2.
    3. out of price
    4. out of date

    I don't know where I can find the meaning of those words so please help me. And can you give me some more words with "out of" and there meanings
    Thanks.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #2

    Re: Out of

    Quote Originally Posted by kimhaze View Post
    Give each blank with a suitable preposition with "OUT OF"
    1. This month is not the time for strawberries, they are ............. now.
    2. Go and lie down if you are feeling ..............
    3. I can't accept this gift, it is ............
    4. Your licence is ............. and you will have to get a new one.

    Here are my answers:
    1. out of reason
    2.
    3. out of price
    4. out of date

    I don't know where I can find the meaning of those words so please help me. And can you give me some more words with "out of" and there meanings
    Thanks.
    1. out of season
    2. out of sorts
    3. out of price There is no suitable answer with "out of" for this one.
    4. out of date

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #3

    Re: Out of

    3. out of line

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,330
    #4

    Re: Out of

    Quote Originally Posted by kimhaze View Post
    Give each blank with a suitable preposition with "OUT OF"
    1. This month is not the time for strawberries, they are ............. now.
    2. Go and lie down if you are feeling ..............
    3. I can't accept this gift, it is ............
    4. Your licence is ............. and you will have to get a new one.

    Here are my answers:
    1. out of reason
    2.
    3. out of price
    4. out of date

    I don't know where I can find the meaning of those words so please help me. And can you give me some more words with "out of" and there meanings
    Thanks.

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****
    ************************


    Kimhaze,


    Maybe (maybe!):

    I cannot accept this gift, it is out of the question ( = impossible.

    I am your teacher. You want to give me a new car. If I accept

    your gift, other people will say that I am a dishonest teacher if

    I give you good marks.)

    THANK YOU

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 27
    #5

    Re: Out of

    Thank you all :)
    Is "Out of sorts" means "not in good health" ?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #6

    Re: Out of

    Quote Originally Posted by kimhaze View Post
    Thank you all :)
    Is "Out of sorts" means "not in good health" ?
    Yes.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: Out of

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes.
    ...but not seriously unwell - just 'not in perfectly good health'/'not on top of the world'... I've even heard 'not firing on all four' (a reference to the cylinders in an Internal combustion engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    b

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: Out of

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****
    ************************


    Kimhaze,


    Maybe (maybe!):

    I cannot accept this gift, it is out of the question ( = impossible.

    I am your teacher. You want to give me a new car. If I accept

    your gift, other people will say that I am a dishonest teacher if

    I give you good marks.)

    THANK YOU
    I think what the test is looking for is 'out of the question', but 'out of line' is possible (if rather less diplomatic: 'out of the question' (in this context) means 'I couldn't possibly accept it', but 'it's out of line' implies 'it's wrong of you to offer'.

    b

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •