Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There is an initial list in the book about articles:
address - -- idea - -- - month - -- scheme - -- year
effect - -- - -issue - -- plan - -- - -shock
election - -- method - -problem - -suggestion
hour - -- - -- munite - -remark - -- week

Does anybody know if there is an entire list?

As an optional part of the question I also would want to find entire list of uncount nouns (such as):
advice* behaviour equipment* furniture* hair* health homework* information* knowledge* machinery* money music* news* progress research* shopping traffic travel wealth weather
If I waded through these more or less then I would search the list of plural nouns.

The best thing is putting SQL-queries to dictionary database: SELECT uncount FROM nouns GROUP BY abstract (but again can't find).

PS: Am I correct in the underlined part.. and in articles in the whole?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
There is an initial list in the book about articles:
address - -- idea - -- - month - -- scheme - -- year
effect - -- - -issue - -- plan - -- - -shock
election - -- method - -problem - -suggestion
hour - -- - -- munite - -remark - -- week

Does anybody know if there is an entire list?
An entire list of what? There's no obvious common theme in those words.

As an optional part of the question I also would want to find entire list of uncount nouns (such as): "I would also like to find ..."
advice* behaviour equipment* furniture* hair* health homework* information* knowledge* machinery* money music* news* progress research* shopping traffic travel wealth weather
If I waded through these more or less then I would search the list of plural nouns.
Count and Non-Count Nouns
Search for "non-count nouns", "noncount nouns", "uncountable nouns", "non-countable", etc

The best thing is putting SQL-queries to dictionary database: SELECT uncount FROM nouns GROUP BY abstract (but again can't find).
Maybe. Why not a Google search? A dictionary search with SQL is not likely to give you a good list unless that dictionary focuses on whether a noun is countable or not.
"Uncount" is not the first word I'd choose to search with.

PS: Am I correct in the underlined part.. and in articles in the whole?
PS: You also need to keep in mind that many nouns are only uncountable in some contexts and countable in others.

Last edited:

xcislav

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
And how can I perfectly learn The English articles usage, without dealing with this enourmous quantity of words? Yes I can learn Proper.. strict rules.. all exceptions, BUT:
abstract
changing meaning (and changing count/non and accordingly changing the articles).. btw Must I use all (the) time "the articles" or articles.
...and all this stuff drives me crazy

I think It's all about meaning, and as I think a lot about meaning, and if I replace, for exaple, article.. to zero article.. hm actual meaning is not changing (maybe because I'm Russian).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And how can I perfectly learn The English articles usage, without dealing with this enourmous quantity of words? Yes I can learn Proper.. strict rules.. all exceptions, BUT:
abstract
changing meaning (and changing count/non and accordingly changing the articles).. btw Must I use all (the) time "the articles" or articles.
...and all this stuff drives me crazy

I think It's all about meaning, and as I think a lot about meaning, and if I replace, for exaple, article.. to zero article.. hm actual meaning is not changing (maybe because I'm Russian).
You are Russian, so English people expect you to get articles wrong occasionally (or often). We hear Russian foreign ministers, etc. doing it all the time on TV. Only occasionally will the meaning be lost. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Certainly learn what you can, but things like this come with practice and experience.

xcislav

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes I agree with you. Let's understand me. In the last subchapters of the chapter 2 there are transformations i.e. 2.8 Converting uncount nouns to count nouns meaning "a type of" (2.7 - "a unit of") and vice versa (2.9+). By this time I must have a steady position and know what is uncountable by definition. (It seems to me like that)

I strongly believe you have gained much experience with articles in your native English classes in early school or so...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes I agree with you. Let's understand me. In the last subchapters of the chapter 2 there are transformations i.e. 2.8 Converting uncount nouns to count nouns meaning "a type of" (2.7 - "a unit of") and vice versa (2.9+). By this time I must have a steady position and know what is uncountable by definition. (It seems to me like that)

I strongly believe you have gained much experience with articles in your native English classes in early school or so...
No, we do not learn lists of words that need articles. By the time a 5 year-old starts school, most of this is already known. The rest is picked up. This is not the sort of thing that a native needs to be taught. So there is no list.
The concept of countable and uncountable nouns is taught to natives, with a brief list to illustrate the difference. But again, natives learn language differently, so no comprehensive list is needed.

I can understand that you would need enough knowledge to pass the section 2.8, etc. of your book. But that certainly doesn't require an exhaustive list - which, in any case, would be difficult to learn even if it were available.

Status
Not open for further replies.