Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,676
    #1

    Comma

    "X is a relatively young firm, which has been in the market since 2000."

    I'm not sure, but I think the comma is correct because the "which" clause provides additional information; the central point is that the firm is young. Do you agree?

    Thanks!

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #2

    Re: Comma

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "X is a relatively young firm, which has been in the market since 2000."

    I'm not sure, but I think the comma is correct because the "which" clause provides additional information; the central point is that the firm is young. Do you agree?

    Thanks!
    No. The second clause is part of the definition of what X is.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Comma

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No. The second clause is part of the definition of what X is.
    It is not often that I disagree with you, Ray, but I do here. I think the words 'relatively young' make your reading almost impossible. Jasmin, you are right, IMO.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2005
    • Posts: 2,045
    #4

    Re: Comma

    I would recast this sentence so that the relative clause is clearly non-restrictive:

    "X is a relatively young firm that has been in the market since 2000."

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #5

    Re: Comma

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It is not often that I disagree with you, Ray, but I do here. I think the words 'relatively young' make your reading almost impossible. Jasmin, you are right, IMO.
    That's fine. It's only a comma.
    mykwyner's changing "which" to "that" and removing the comma is a better solution in any case. The original doesn't sound right.
    Last edited by Raymott; 04-Jan-2011 at 03:31.

Similar Threads

  1. comma or not comma before and after 'such as'
    By duiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-May-2010, 17:12
  2. comma
    By wowenglish1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2010, 05:18
  3. comma
    By renaissance in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2008, 16:12
  4. Use of Comma
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Nov-2007, 22:01
  5. use of comma
    By san in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Oct-2007, 20:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •