• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Help Me Please!!

I was reaing the article online. I hate it when I realize there are so many things I don't understand while learning English.... I coudn't make this out. Could you explain what this sentence means?

<ANNE OF DENMARK (1574-1619), queen of James I. of England and VI. of Scotland, daughter of King Frederick II. of Denmark and Norway and of Sophia, daughter of Ulric III., duke of Mecklenburg,> was born on the 1 2 th of December 1574. On the 20th of August 1589, in spite of Queen Elizabeth's opposition, <she was married by proxy to King James, without dower, the alliance, however, settling definitely the Scottish claims to the Orkney and Shetland Islands.>

I put in brackets what I couldn't understand. Thank you.
    1. There are so many commas and 'ofs'....
    2. what does it mean
    (1) to marry by proxy and
    (2) without dower, the alliance?
    (3) setting the claims to something

Thank you teachers, and Happy New Year:)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: Help Me Please!!

Quote Originally Posted by zzang418lee View Post
    I was reaing the article online. I hate it when I realize there are so many things I don't understand while learning English.... I coudn't make this out. Could you explain what this sentence means?

<ANNE OF DENMARK (1574-1619), queen of James I. of England and VI. of Scotland, daughter of King Frederick II. of Denmark and Norway and of Sophia, daughter of Ulric III., duke of Mecklenburg,> was born on the 1 2 th of December 1574. On the 20th of August 1589, in spite of Queen Elizabeth's opposition, <she was married by proxy to King James, without dower, the alliance, however, settling definitely the Scottish claims to the Orkney and Shetland Islands.>

I put in brackets what I couldn't understand. Thank you.
    1. There are so many commas and 'ofs'....
    2. what does it mean
    (1) to marry by proxy and
    (2) without dower, the alliance?
    (3) setting the claims to something

Thank you teachers, and Happy New Year:)
    Hi zzang,

About 1.
    I would say that the periods after the Roman Ordinals should not be there, but I have always found references to royals and nobles very much in the same way.

queen of James I: she was married to James I (and she became queen consort).
    James I. of England and VI. of Scotland: James was the first king of England under that name, and the sixth in Scotland.
    daughter of King Frederick II. of Denmark and Norway and of Sophia: Anne was their daughter. Then, Frederick was the second king of Denmark and Norway under that name, and Sophia was his wife (and also queen consort).
    Sophia, daughter of Ulric III., duke of Mecklenburg: Sophia (Anne's mother) was the daughter of Ulric. He was the third duke of Mecklenburg under that name. So he was Anne's grandfather.

About (1):

Proxy marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About (2):
    Dower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

without dower, the alliance: this sample is incomplete, you should have considered it together with (3):
    The marriage (of Anne and James) meant that Scotland had genuine reasons to claim sovereignty to the Orkney and Shetland Islands, which were under somebody else's rule. Also, keep in mind that, most of the times, marriages between nobles from different countries were used to form alliances between those countries against a common enemyu, or to defend common interests, commercial or otherwise.

Hope it helps.

Greetings,

Charliedeut

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

thank you so much!!!

Your answer blew out what I was curious about:)
    Thank you.