Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mr Dargis was glad to be/to have been appointed as chairman of the club.

Do both infinitives work well in this sentence?

Thank you in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, they do.

Rover

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

Thank you in advance.

Only "to have been", IMO. This is why:

Mr Dargis is glad to be appointed as chairman. :cross: (I am appointed?)
Mr Dargis was glad to be appointed as chairman. :cross: (I am appointed?) )
Mr Dargis was glad to be a chairman. :tick: (I am here.)
Mr Dargis was glad to see you. :tick: (I see you.)
He was glad to be honest. :tick: (I am honest.)

Why the :cross: and the :tick: here? It has something to do with aspect. Tense can't interfere with these sentences as we have tenseless clauses.

"(A)ppointed is a dynamic verb in the sentence. The act of appointing has either happened already or it has not. When he is glad, it means his happiness is preceded by the act of appointing. The time of appointing him frames the speaker's now and this triggers the perfective aspect in the low clause (to have been appointed). The neutral aspect (to be appointed) with the dynamic verb "appointed" does not work unless a temporal adjunct expressing habitual action (with which the neutral aspect is compatible) is inserted like this:
Mr Dargis was glad [to be appointed as chairman every year]. :tick:

----------------------------------

Mr Dargis was glad to have been appointed as chairman. :tick: -- First he was chosen, and later he was glad.
Mr Dargis was glad to have seen you. :tick: -- First he saw you, and later he was glad.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Rover is right - both work. Corum is wrong.

1. Mr Dargis was glad to be appointed. Mr Dargis was appointed. He was glad about this.

2. Mr Dargis was glad to have been appointed. Mr Dargis had been appointed. He was glad about this.

In #1, the gladness and the appointment happen at the same time; in #2, the appointment precedes the gladness. In fact, in normal conversation, most speakers would not worry too much about this.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
In #1, the gladness and the appointment happen at the same time; in #2, the appointment precedes the gladness.

That is exactly what I was saying too. However, the idea behind "being glad" and "being appointed" happening at the same time strikes me as somewhat strange.
Cause and effect relationships have a logically determined temporal sequence relationship. Only the perfective aspect can express sequence in time. I still believe "to be" does not work. :up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Cause and effect relationships have a logically determined temporal sequence relationship. Only the perfective aspect can express sequence in time. I still believe "to be" does not work. :up:
Once again you are trying to fit English into a perspective aspect mould.

You are, of course, free to believe what you wish. However, two experienced teachers, both native speakers, know that both infinitives are possible.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
That is exactly what I was saying too. However, the idea behind "being glad" and "being appointed" happening at the same time strikes me as somewhat strange.

I was giving my ideas a little bit of thought and I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong here:

Only the perfective aspect can express sequence in time.
:down:

I was glad when I was appointed. :tick:

No perfective aspect, still It is obvious that my being glad came later.

animation21r.gif

Yes, both options are correct. :up:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I was glad when I was appointed. :tick:
No perfective aspect, still It is obvious that my being glad came later.
Perhaps I am splitting hairs here Corum, but are you perhaps placing too much emphasis on 'later'?

Clearly, if my gladness was caused by my appointment (and I think we are saying that), then that gladness cannot begin before the appointment. Indeed, I admit that it must begin after the appointment. However, the period of time between the the appointment and the onset of the emotion could be so short as to be almost non-existent.

I feel that it is not distorting the situation unreasonably to suggest that the appointment and the onset of gladness are virtually simultaneous.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
However, the period of time between the the appointment and the onset of the emotion could be so short as to be almost non-existent.

For those who are quick on the uptake. :cool::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.