[Essay] Please help me edit my film review (Reines d'un jour)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeparser

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Reines d'un jour (2001), directed by Marion Vernoux

Not a hell of a movie

If “Reines d’un jour” (literally “Queens for a Day”, also known as “A Hell of a Day”) were a good film, it might perhaps be renamed to “French Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown”. It tells a day in the life of four ordinary people living in Paris, whose stories run parallel and casually meet and interact. In particular, it is about women obsessed by their complicated relationships with men, and who have a hard time finding love, happiness, or at least safe sex without unplanned consequences, either in marriage or in adultery!
Unfortunately, “Reines d’un jour” is not a good film. Do not believe the favorable reviews. It is a boring, clueless, bad film. It annoys viewers with poorly written dialogs, uninteresting characters, and unfunny attempts to irony.
To be fair, there are a few (not many) almost enjoyable moments, and some of the subplots would have a potential to make a good story, perhaps, in other hands. However, even the catchy ideas are not developed properly, and the film never takes off. In the end, there is only disappointment left. It could have been fun, but it was not.
Some of the actors, such as Karin Viard, who plays Hortense, are not inexperienced. I guess they might be good in other movies. Too bad their performance is rather wasted in this inconclusive French production.
As for the “magic” of Paris, with its usually beautiful scenery of the Seine River and so on, in this movie there is too little of it even to make a nice Paris “postcard”.
In conclusion, even if you are searching for a silly yet entertaining date-flick about the follies of love in modern times, do not waste your money or your time with this dull movie, because of its absolute lack of wit, humour, or real feelings.
My vote is 3 out of 10, but my girlfriend, who saw the film with me, gave a 2.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Reines d'un jour (2001), directed by Marion Vernoux.

Not a hell of a movie.

If “Reines d’un jour” (literally “Queens for a Day”, also known as “A Hell of a Day”), were a good film, it might perhaps be renamed [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] “French Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown”.

It tells of a day in the lives of four ordinary people living in Paris, whose stories run parallel and who casually meet and interact. In particular, it is about women obsessed by their complicated relationships with men, and who have a hard time finding love, happiness, or at least safe sex without unplanned consequences, either in marriage or in adultery!

Unfortunately, “Reines d’un jour” is not a good film. Do not believe the favorable reviews; it is a boring, clueless, bad film. It annoys viewers with poorly written dialog[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE], uninteresting characters, and unfunny attempts at irony.

To be fair, there are a few (not many) almost enjoyable moments, and some of the subplots have the potential to make a good story, perhaps, in other hands. However, even the catchy ideas are not developed properly, and the film never takes off. In the end, there is only disappointment left. It could have been fun, but it was not.

Some of the actors, such as Karin Viard, who plays Hortense, are not inexperienced. I guess they might be good in other movies. Too bad their performance is rather wasted in this inconclusive French production.
As for the “magic” of Paris, with its usually beautiful scenery of the River Seine and so on, in this movie there is too little of it even to make a nice Paris “postcard”.

In conclusion, even if you are searching for a silly yet entertaining date-flick about the follies of love in modern times, do not waste your money or your time with this dull movie, because of its absolute lack of wit, humour, or real feelings.
My vote is 3 out of 10, but my girlfriend, who saw the film with me, gave it a 2.
Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.