[General] quandry/ assess her wounded feelings at an immoderately high figure/ jilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentence?

But he was in a quandary. Now that he was in possession of his senses he saw with clearness the sort of woman he had to deal with and he was aware that, if he asked her to release him, she would (in her appealing way) assess her wounded feelings at an immoderately high figure. Besides, it is always awkward for a man to jilt a woman.

quandary = state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options

be in a quandary = be in a difficult position, be in the soup

assess her wounded feelings at an immoderately high figure = she would make him pay much for jilting her

jilt= cast aside capriciously or unfeelingly; desert one’s sweetheart, as in: "jilt a lover or a bride"

She was jilted by her scoundrel husband

She was engaged to an earl..., and then jilted him for a duke (W. M. Thackeray, History of Henry Osmond, Esq.”)

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
quandary = state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options
As this interpretation uses exactly the words to be found on the following (and other) sites, it is reasonable to assume that it might be correct:
perplexity especially as requiring - WordReference Forums
quandary - definition of quandary by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
quandaries (perplexity) - Memidex dictionary/thesaurus
What does quandary mean? definition, meaning and pronunciation (Free English Language Dictionary)

jilt= cast aside capriciously or unfeelingly;
These exact words also appeared on a number of sites.

As I have noted before, Vil, some of us are happy to confirm/correct your attempts at interpreting words and expressions, (and you will know that I have done so on several occasions recently) but there seems little point in confirming that you have been able to find online dictionaries to help you.

If you think that dictionary definitions are inappropriate for your expressions in particular contexts, then asking for the opinions of others is understandable. However, when the online definitions are obviously what you are looking for, why waste the time of people who could more profitably spend that time dealing with questions from people who haven't been able to find an answer elsewhere?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Should I accept that you gave me a broad hint to seek the aid of other teachers from other forums, where I might probably find such people, who would show more tolerance and humanity towards such long winded person as me?

V.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Should I accept that you gave me a broad hint to seek the aid of other teachers from other forums, where I might probably find such people, who would show more tolerance and humanity towards such long winded person as me?

Not from other forums, Vil. There's bound to be someone here who will oblige. (As I have just obliged in another thread of yours, in which you have presented what appear to be your own versions).

I get irritated by the occasional post of yours which seems to me to be pointless. You doubtless get irritated by my occasional displays of impatience.

We both seem to manage to survive.

:roll:

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.