Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello dear teachers.

someone asked me about the mistakes in the following sentences but I could not find any mistake:

1- Each river and ravine create an obstacle in the cross-country race.

2-The execution of exquisite decoration and the effective use of space, light,and water contributes to the Alhambra's unique beauty.

Thanks in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello dear teachers.

someone asked me about the mistakes in the following sentences but I could not find any mistake:

1- Each river and ravine create an obstacle in the cross-country race. "Each river and ravine creates..." is correct but many people would use "create".

2-The execution of exquisite decoration and the effective use of space, light,and water contributes to the Alhambra's unique beauty. "contribute" is correct but many people would use "contributes".

Thanks in advance.
Bhai.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1- Each river and ravine create an obstacle in the cross-country race.

Each + noun requires a singular verb - creates

2-The execution of exquisite decoration and the effective use of space, light,and water contributes to the Alhambra's unique beauty.

A and B (plural) contribute ...

I wouldn't be too downhearted. Quite a few native speakers make this sort of mistake.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Once again we have two great minds coming up with the same thoughts at the same time.

coolheaded

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thanks a lot Bhai and fivejedjon :)

Richard1

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

1. It depends on whether river and ravine are regarded as a tied together combination. If tied together effectively as a single subject then 'creates' singular would be correct. If you mean river and ravine are mutually exclusive and hence regarded as plural subjects, then 'create' is correct.

2. This is similar. Are you talking about the combination of space light and water, if so 'contributes', otherwise 'contribute'

Rgds

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. It depends on whether river and ravine are regarded as a tied together combination. If tied together effectively as a single subject then 'creates' singular would be correct. If you mean river and ravine are mutually exclusive and hence regarded as plural subjects, then 'create' is correct.
No. Each river and (each) ravine can be as mutually exclusive as you like. 'Create' may be commonly used, but is not correct to the formal grammarian

Each river and ravine in the USA is beautiful in its own way

2. This is similar. Are you talking about the combination of space light and water, if so 'contributes', otherwise 'contribute'
No. The combination of space, light and water is irrelevant. What makes the plural verb "correct" is the 'and' between 'the execution of exquisite decoration' and 'the effective use of ...' We have two things (ie plural) making up the grammatical subject of the verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.