CELTA Pre-Interview Tasks (sorry, it's another one of those!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slavelle

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
Hi all,

I'm a lurker who has decided to register. I'm applying for a CELTA course and have been set some pre-interview tasks to complete. I'm quite nervous because I will be returning to education after a small gap. However, I've done lots of research and am very committed.

I wonder if people would mind looking over my answers and give thoughts or clarifications where required? I'm worried I'm overlooking some glaring errors.

Thanks in advance. If I'm breaking rules here, please feel free to move the thread or delete it.

Part A.

Correct the following statements and explain your choice:

(1) Speaker A: Have you got any money?
Speaker B: Yes, I've been to the bank yesterday.

My answer: Yes, I went to the bank yesterday. I went (past simple) means a certain time in the past, or a place in a sequence of events. I've been (present perfect) means an unspecified time.

(2) Speaker A: Is John ill? He's lost a lot of weight.
Speaker B: Yes, he's rather slender these days, isn't he?

My answer: Yes, he's rather skinny/thin these days, isn't he? "Slender" has positive connotations (a model's build is "slender", for example). Since Speaker A enquires if John is ill, the context is not positive.

(3) Speaker A: Why didn't you answer the phone?
Speaker B: Because I had a bath.

My answer: Because I was having a bath. "I had a bath" in the past means it's over and done with. "I was having a bath" means the person was in the bath when Speaker A rang and that is why they could not answer the phone.

Part B

Correct the following text:

You must'nt worry about me, the course is great and I'm happy with my accomodation. I think I'll definately stay here until June. My teacher's names are Sue and John; they are very professional and the lessons are interesting. My landlady's got a beautiful dog, it's name is Ginger.

My corrections:

You should not worry about me: the course is great and I'm happy with my accommodation. I think I'll definitely stay here until June. My teachers' names are Sue and John; they are very professional and the lessons are interesting. My landlady's got a beautiful dog; its name is Ginger.

Part C

Comment on the difference in meaning (not grammar) in the following:

(1) If I had the money, I'd buy a new car / If I have the money, I'll buy a new car.

My answer: "If I had" (second conditional) means that the person does not have the money for a new car, and the situation is defined by unreality. "If I have" (first conditional) suggests the possibility of the person having the money to purchase a new car.

(2) The house was very isolated / The house was very secluded.

My answer: "Secluded" suggests hidden or private; "isolated" suggests alone. A house in the city surrounded by high walls and trees could be described as secluded, but not "isolated".

(3) Give me a hand with this bag, will you? / Could you give me a hand with this bag, please?

My answer: The first statement implies familiarity with the person whom you are asking for a favour. The second is politer and more formal.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi slavelle. Welcome to the forum.

Your interviewer will want to know what you can do, so it would be inappropriate for us to make any suggestions.

However, I don't think it does any harm to say that you don't need to worry. :)

Good luck with your interview, and with the course, if you are accepted and decide to go ahead.

david151

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think it does any harm to say that you don't need to worry.

I am sorry but I disagree - you don't know what they are going to put on the poor person in interview! In my opinion the hardest thing about CELTA is getting accepted onto a course. The recruitment process is extremely tough, as I was rejected by 2 institutes (despite being a native speaking and having a first class degree in law.)

I finally completed my CELTA last month and was awarded a B pass. So from my experience if you can make it through the selection process you should be able to fly.

In all honesty I think the selection process is over the top. The CELTA course is not easy, but in my opinion any reasonably intelligent person can learn the necessary grammar rules etc. as the course progresses. I don’t see why a native speaker with a first class degree should be deemed unsuitable for the course because their knowledge of grammar theory is limited. Throughout the course you get many input sessions on grammar etc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think that Fivejedjon meant that the answers were of a standard that meant the OP didn't have much to worry about with the tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.