• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

spot-fixing

The trio face charges of spot-fixing during Pakistan's tour of England last year in a scandal that rocked the sport.

What does it mean of 'spot-fixing' & 'rocked the spot' in the above sentence?

I hope you guys were having fun in the party.
    • Do 'guys' stand for male and female?
    • Should I put 's' for guy if there is more than one person?

There is some water on the floor.
    There are some water on the floor.

Since 'water' is uncountable, shall I put is behind there?

Tks / ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: spot-fixing

Spot-fixing is a way of cheating when betting- you can bet on events in a game, like when the bowler makes a mistake, so if you pay the bowler to make a mistake at a certain time, you can bet on this and win. In the cricket tour, it is alleged that bowlers were deliberately making mistakes at certain points in the game. It caused a huge scandal and undermined people's faith in the integrity of the game, which iis what rocked the sport means.

Guys can be male and female nowadays; in the past, the word tended to refer to males only. It's a countable noun, so use -s for more than one.

Use is.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Spot-fixing is a way of cheating when betting- you can bet on events in a game, like when the bowler makes a mistake, so if you pay the bowler to make a mistake at a certain time, you can bet on this and win. In the cricket tour, it is alleged that bowlers were deliberately making mistakes at certain points in the game. It caused a huge scandal and undermined people's faith in the integrity of the game, which iis what rocked the sport means.

Guys can be male and female nowadays; in the past, the word tended to refer to males only. It's a countable noun, so use -s for more than one.

Use is.
    Thanks, Tdol.

1) I am still confused how can I tell whether the word is countable or uncountable. Is reading more the only way we can tell?

2) Shall I put is/has/was behind all uncountable noun?

3) I heard a Western little girl talking about her dirts from her nose. May I know how to spell the word. My apology for causing any unpleasant feelings.

4) By the way, shall I put 's' for the word 'feelings' always. Is yes, it must be uncountable noun which must be followed by is/was, am I right?

Tks / ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    1) I am still confused how can I tell whether the a word is countable or uncountable. Is reading more the only way we can tell?

Basically, yes. Although many dictionaries will tell you whether a noun is normally (un)countable, most nouns often classified as uncountable can function as countables in certain contexts.

2) Shall I put is/has/was behind all uncountable nouns? The singular form of a verb should be used with an uncountable noun. It's not a good idea to say 'behind'; because verbs can go in front of nouns, most commonly in questions: "Is water free?"

3) I heard a Western little girl talking about her dirts from her nose. May I know how to spell the word. This little girl was not speaking standard English.

4) By the way, shall I put 's' for the word 'feelings' always. Is yes, it must be uncountable noun which must be followed by is/was, am I right? 'Feeling' can be used as a countable or uncountable noun.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post

... sort of.

In the case of this incident of fixing, the bet was not on the bowler making that particular mistake (bowling a 'no-ball') at a certain time; but the fixers made sure that he would bowl a no-ball in a certain over and then bet on the highest score coming in that over (=group of six balls bowled from one end by one bowler). As no-balls incur various penalties (one possibility being a free hit from which the batsman can score with no risk to his own wicket (=batting 'life'), and all no-balls extend the number of balls (each of which can be scored from) to 7 or more, an intentional no-ball makes it more likely that the over it occurs in will be a high-scoring one.

Of course, anyone can bet on anything. But a bookie would be rightly dubious about someone who went to a betting shop and said anything as blatant as '1 million rupis on X to bowl a no-ball in the Nth over'.

b