Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

May I ask you whether the expression in question is common in your area or it is brought to light from the naphthalene.

The dog was nothing to write home about, a cross between a ne’er-do-well heeler and a dingo… (K. S. Pritchard, “’N’Coola and Other Stories”)

nothing to write home about = nothing especially, nothing remarkable, there is nothing to our credit

“Your mother is very kind, Dorothy. She’s asked us to dinner – I mean, to lunch – tomorrow.

“So what? Our grub is nothing to write home about”.

“Oh, it’s not that…. I just appreciate the thought.” (A. J. Cronin, “The Northern Light”)

A few tables were occupied and he considered the noise nothing to write home about. (A. Sillitoe, “Saturday Night and Sunday Morning” (the noise is unbearable)

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

May I ask you whether the expression in question is common in your area or it is brought to light from the naphthalene. Do you mean that it's just come out of mothballs?

The dog was nothing to write home about, a cross between a ne’er-do-well heeler and a dingo… (K. S. Pritchard, “’N’Coola and Other Stories”)

nothing to write home about = nothing especially, nothing remarkable, there is nothing to our credit

“Your mother is very kind, Dorothy. She’s asked us to dinner – I mean, to lunch – tomorrow.

“So what? Our grub is nothing to write home about”.

“Oh, it’s not that…. I just appreciate the thought.” (A. J. Cronin, “The Northern Light”)

A few tables were occupied and he considered the noise nothing to write home about. (A. Sillitoe, “Saturday Night and Sunday Morning” (the noise is unbearable)

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V
You are correct, though I've never heard the term used to mean "unbearable." You could add "mediocre" to your definitions.
The term is used informally in AmE. "His school grades are nothing to write home about." "Her new boyfriend is nothing to write home about."

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi riquecohen,

Thank you for your further information concerning the matter in question.

As I see, you are beginning to grasp the meaning of my self made and lacking the finishing touch expression.

My expressions are old-timer and unfit for use like Jess’ idea pointed in the sentence below.

Jess put her idea forward, but it was not worthy of serious consideration. put (something) in mothballs.

I wonder when will I mend my written works..

V.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi riquecohen,

Thank you for your further information concerning the matter in question.

As I see, you are beginning to grasp the meaning of my self made and lacking the finishing touch expression.

My expressions are old-timer and unfit for use like Jess’ idea pointed in the sentence below.

Jess put her idea forward, but it was not worthy of serious consideration. put (something) in mothballs.

I wonder when will I mend my written works..

V.
Your sentence about Jess is fine and I assume that her suggestion was dismissed. This does not mean that it was put into mothballs unless it was reviewed for consideration much later. To put something into mothballs generally means to put it into long-term storage.

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Naturally I know the mentioned above very simple interpretation of the expression "put in the mothballs". In my post above I had the intention of showing my deep satisfaction about your understanding of the meaning of my expression with the term "naphthalene" i.e. yours "mothballs" which is respectively a component of the expression "put in the mothballs".

I insinuated that my expression are old and understandable for modern readers because they have been brought to light from my grandmother's chest - whole covered in cobweb..

I have fear that my explanation is very intricate for your comprehension.

I see, I have to hear finally your advice to put my weird expressions again in the mothballs i.e. in my grandmother's chest..

V

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.