• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

get fitter

Dear teachers,

Would you tell me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

I promised resolved to have to myself to get fitter.

get one’s fitter = to eat as much as one’s normally do, but eat healthier foods as well to practice exercise regularly

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: get fitter

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    I promised resolved to have to myself to get fitter.

get (one’self) fitter = to eat as much as one’s normally does, but eat healthier foods as well as to practice exercise regularly
    I don't know where you found the sentence, Vil, but it's not English as we know it.

I promised/ I promised myself/ I resolved to get fitter

Being/getting fit may involve heathier eating, but normally the main concern is getting the body into shape by exercising / doing exercises / takiing exercise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi fivejedjon,

The unfortunate sentence in question is my own make so I see now that it's nothing to be proud.

Come to that, my intention was to see whether the expression "get fitter" will pass safely through your fine sieve.

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the following excerpt of a sentence is acceptable?

….the promises that you make to yourself to get fitter, lose weight, change job etc

Probably the causative verbs are usable only for other person, not for the writer.....

Thank you for your assistance.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 06-Jan-2011 at 12:17.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    The unfortunate sentence in question is my own make so I see now that it's nothing to be proud of.

Come to that, my intention was to see whether the expression "get fitter" will would pass safely through your fine sieve.
    Sorry, Vil.

I may get impatient with you sometimes, but I would have been a little more tactful if I had realised that it was your own creation.

'Get fitter' did indeed pass through the sieve, though, if pressed, I would say that the comparative is not essential unless you already consider yourself fit and want to become even fitter.

Incidentally, the expressions I have put in red are used perfectly (with the addition of the underlined of - we are proud of something).

Is my own make is not really natural - I'd go for my own creation, with was rather than is.

By the way, 'fit' is used by some younger speakers to mean 'excellent'. I believe, if used in an appropriate context, 'he looks fit' can imply that he might make a desirable partner in sexual activities. However, please wait for younger members to confirm or reject this idea.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi fivejedjon,

Thank you for your sparkling editing of my imperfect wording.

V.